One Tankard Too Many

Writing drunk people, my favorite pastime.

******************

"How about here?" you suggested, gesturing to a small tavern by the side of the road, "I'm parched,"

"Aye, the wee lassie's got a point," agreed Gimli, stopping walking to stroke his long, ginger beard, "And I must admit, I could do with a pint..."

Aragorn smiled and nodded his head, "Good idea. Legolas?"

The elf turned around and looked at you, "Yes. I do believe that would be enjoyable."

You smirked at his formal language, and turned into the building next to you. As you opened the door, you were bombarded by a wall of senses. The sounds of laughter and clinking glasses reached you first, followed by the smells of ale and stew. Your eyes quickly accustomed to the slightly darker light, and the room was considerably warmer than the frigid evening outside.

"May I get you a drink?" asked Legolas, turning to you.

"Oh, yeah, a pint would be lovely, thank you," you responded, smiling.

Legolas raised an eyebrow at your choice, but if he was surprised, he didn't say it. You both walked up to the bar, and sat down next to Aragorn and Gimli, who were both well into their second tankard of ale.

"Have a seat, lass," said Gimli, patting a stool next to him.

You perched down on it, and grabbed the large pint glass that a busty barmaid had just placed on the bar in front of you. You took a large swig, earning a big grin from Aragorn.

"A girl who can handle a drink," he smirked, nudging you in the ribs with his elbow playfully and winking, "I like that..."

You smiled and wiped your mouth with the back of your hand, "Watch this space, sunshine,"

* * * * * * *

"And those ORCS!!" you slurred, blinking as your vision filed with black spots. Gimli had already passed out, and was slumped on the bar, snoring heavily.

"I mean, are they the ugliest things you have ever seen or what?!"

Legolas looked at you with a panicked expression, whilst Aragorn, just as drunk as you, listened with rapt attention.

"You know," you giggled and grabbed Legolas' shoulder, causing him to look startled, "I...I..."

You burst into a fit of laughter, and Aragorn, although he had no idea what you were laughing about, heartily joined in.

"The first time I saw you," you stumbled, pointing a shaking finger at Legolas' exasperated face, "I thought gou were a yirl! I mean, I though you were a girl,"

Aragorn burst into laughter again, wiping a tear from his face as he tried to look at Legolas through the haze of alcohol surrounding his vision.

"It was...." you slurred, taking another drink from your point glass and placing it down next to the countless others on the bar, "it was the hair!" you squealed, slapping your knee as you bent over double, laughter wracking your body.

You heard a thud next to you, and turned around to see Aragorn on the floor, sleeping deeply.

"You know what?" said Legolas sternly, "We need to get you to bed. Now."

"Can I have one room, please," he asked the barman, and he handed Legolas a set of rusty keys.

"Straight upstairs and on the left," he stated gruffly, and Legolas nodded in thanks, the stood up and helped you onto your feet.

"Come on," he grunted, taking your weight, "It's time to sleep."

"Sleep," you mumbled, leaning your face against his warm chest, "S'good idea,"

Legolas smiled and helped you up the stairs, then unlocked the door to your room and led you inside, carefully laying you down on the bed and pulling the thin covers up over your body.

"You, you have pretty hair," you said, stroking a strand of it in between your fingers, "pretty," you repeated, almost as a whisper.

"So do you," answered Legolas, smiling down at you, "shhhh now, you need to rest,"

"Yes sir," you said groggily, closing your eyes and snuggling down deeper into the blankets.

Legolas smiled again and took a seat next to your bed, brushing a stray hair out of your face.

"Sweet dreams," he whispered, as you drifted into the world of sleep.

*********************