Chapter 16

"When will we have more news about him?" Lydia asked.

"I don't know yet. They've been pretty secretive. They didn't even let me see him yet. The only thing I know is that Melissa told me that it looked pretty bad according to the doctors" the sheriff said almost crying.

***

"Wha-what happened?" he stuttered rubbing his head "Wh-Where am I?" he asked opening his eyes.

"In the hospital. Your dad was very worried. Do you remember anything that happened?" Scott replied

"The hospital? Why? We were going to the loft, then I saw something moving, we got down and something attacked us. We ran to the jeep and then Stiles got-" he stopped himself at the name

"Stiles! Stiles where is he? How is he?" his voice was shaking and anxiety took over him.

"He had a concussion. He lost consciousness but apparently nothing as bad as it seemed at first sight. He's responding to the treatment. Should be awake any time now" Scott reassured Liam not letting him get up.

"It was my fault. I told him that I've seen something and he pulled over. And because of me he almost died" tears streaming down the boy's cheek.

"Liam you saved him, had you not howled we would've never known you were in danger. You fought that thing and survived and protected him. That thing has in a coma a powerful alpha and a former alpha; you are a fresh beta and here you are, talking. You are amazing Liam, never doubt that." He said placing one of his hands on the shoulder of the boy and the other one on his cheek.

"However I have to say that I don't know why, you have certain affinity for holes and pit traps. You keep falling in them" he said with a playful smile and Liam rolled his eyes and blushed.

"Shut up Scott". They hugged afterwards. "So... how many hours was I out?" he asked.

"Uh... Say... About thirty?" Scott said.

"What? Holy-" he mumbled but was cut by the door opening. Hi felt a shiver through his body as Derek entered the room with his fist clenched and his jaw tight getting closer and closer to his bed. "S-Scott..." he whispered with fear; the alpha's threat was still fresh on his head.

Before he or Scott could make a move, Derek stretched his right hand; Liam was completely confused and hesitantly he took it.

"I heard everything you told Scott, I won't ask anything else. You've proven your worth Liam. Th-Tha-"he huffed, the words felt heavy on his tongue "-Thank you for keeping him alive and in one piece. I owe you great deal" he finally said. Liam wasn't sure why, but he felt happy for getting Derek's approval.

"However, if you ever say to him I told you that, I'll rip off your limbs, fill you up with wolfsbane and bury you in a circle of mountain ash" he threatened tightening the grip on the young wolf's hand.

"You just can't let your bitterness go to waste do you?" Scott said chuckling earning a quite painful smack on the head.

"The same goes for you too Scott" Derek grunted "I'll go and check on him"

When Derek entered the room, the sheriff was there. They had already spoken about the incidents. Now Derek told the sheriff what Liam had just said. They kept talking for about ten minutes when Stiles began to wake up.

"Dad? Why are you yelling? My head hurts so badly" he complained. "Wait, why am I here? I was headed to Derek's. Did I have a car crash? How's the jeep?" He asked and sitting swiftly which caused him to get dizzy and fall back.

"For God's sake, son. You're as careless as usual, don't know if it's a good sign or bad one" the sheriff scolded him gritting his teeth.

"You were attacked. Liam protected you" Derek said.