Chapter 34

Almost as soon as they got in the car Derek fell asleep. Stiles couldn't help to see the man by his side, first from the corner of his eyes, and then he slowed down so he could see every detail on Derek's sleeping face.

He had hardly ever seen Derek sleeping. He was just as handsome in his sleep as he was awake. In his sleep, Derek reminded him of that boy that had dinner with him and Scott's dad, the boy that finally awoke the feelings inside of him. His features soft and relaxed, his somewhat less prominent cheekbones, his sharp jawline, his two-day shaved beard; his thin, pink lips slightly open and... 'Wait a second... is he...? Oh my God, he is!' Stiles said to himself in his mind. He carefully reached for his cellphone, put it on silencer, activated the flash and took a picture of the sleeping Derek; he chuckled and focused on the road again.

After a few minutes he took his headphones and began listening to his music and a thought crossed his mind: 'okay, show me what you're capable of' he said excited inside his head.

Derek woke up thirty minutes later than he had foreseen. He stretched and his eyes were still adjusting when he took a glance of the speed meter.

"Are you out of your mind!?" he yelled as he pulled one of Stiles' headphones out of his ear. "Are you aware of the speed you're going at?" he scolded him "Not even I have ever driven so fast!"

"Oh come on, like we have highways on Beacon Hills" Stiles said rolling his eyes "Just relax man! Here, let me lower your window so you can feel the breeze, and you can even get your head out and your tongue if you like" he said lowering Derek's window.

"You really have a death wish Stiles. How long have you been driving this fast?" Derek asked gritting his teeth.

"Don't know... About... An hour and fifteen... Perhaps?" he replied proudly.

"Okay. Next gas station; your driving time is over" Derek sentenced "And slow down, at 85 mph you wouldn't survive a crash" he snapped.

"Okay, okay. Old people..." Stiles mumbled rolling his eyes; though he wasn't mad, in fact he was both joyful and relieved. Joyful because he finally felt what it was like to drive a modern, sports car; and relieved because Derek woke up later than he had said. 'Phew, that was close... Good thing I'm getting tired... Ten minutes earlier and he would have killed me... I mean, 105 are worse than 85, right?' Stiles thought and sighed.

It took them almost forty-five minutes to find a gas station and while Derek was filling the tank, Stiles went to the mini market to buy some snacks and drinks. It was almost midnight and they had still a long way to go. "So... We're still like sixteen hours away" Stiles said thoughtfully.

"I would risk and reduce it to fourteen thanks to your sense of safe driving" Derek said sarcastically "So?"

"Why make such a long travel? I mean... We left on Monday morning, probably will make it there on Wednesday night-"

"Afternoon thanks to you" Derek remarked.

"Whatever" Stiles rolled his eyes. "That means we're gonna return on Saturday? And we're gonna stay only... Two and a bit of days there? What's the point?" he said disappointed.

"Stiles, don't think, don't talk; just enjoy. Okay?" he said patting the boy's shoulder.

They got in the car again and the following 6 hours, Stiles spent them playing. "You've been quite silent from a while now" Derek said most pleased.

"I'm enjoying myself as you said, and since there are no landscapes I can enjoy at this hour because it's dark outside and I don't have super nocturnal vision, I enjoy the game." He replied