Chapter 31

"You miserable, treacherous wolf get back here!" Stiles ranted as he ran after Derek who was standing in the alley outside the clinic.

"Your father will pick you up and take you home. I told him where we're going. We have numbers now Stiles and the tonic. We can't lose." Derek said turning around with his cellphone still on his hands.

"You seem to forget she can throw spider web from a distance Derek. The tonic doesn't protect you against that! I do!"

"He's got a point" Isaac saidappearing from behind with eyebrows raised.

"Back off Isaac, this is none of your business" Derek warned.

"Okay, Just one advice. What you spoke with Scott; it's a good time to prove yourself. Also a good time for you to keep you word Scott." Isaac said,mad at the two alphas for taking the easy way with Stiles; he knew Scott had heard him, or at least he expected the alpha did. He turned around and joined with the others in the room.

"What was that about?" Stiles asked.

"Nothing. Look, I can't risk you there! You're still hurt! You might not feel it right now but when the effect of the medication wears off you'll..."

"Get in the way?" Stiles completed the sentence with hurt in his voice. "Fine, I'll go home and be useful were I'm not dead weight" he said with spite.

Derek reached for Stiles' arm "Stiles that's not what I-" he began with a low voice but Stiles jerked his arm from Derek's grip as the sheriff arrived.

"Fuck off Derek. Be safe... If you want." He said bitterly getting on the patrol and slamming the door leaving Derek standing there with a feeling of emptiness and a heart ache that threatened to take him down. It took him about five minutes to get hold of himself before entering the room and add the final details to the plan.

During the road Stiles didn't say a word and the sheriff didn't try to push him. They arrived home and Stiles headed to his room. Two hours passed and he wouldn't come out of his room. His dad worried, knocked the door, opened it and entered. Stiles was on his bed with his headphones on and music at top volume. He sensed his father sit on the bed and took them off.

"Hey kiddo, what's up?"

"I don't get it dad. One minute he tells me I'm amazing and the next one he tells me I'm useless. What is he playing at?" Stiles asked mad

"He's not playing son. He cares about you. He knows you're not as resistant as he is. You're a human! You take too many risks. You can easily die. Have you ever thought what it would be for him if you die? What it would be for Scott? What it would be for me? You're not the only one who has lost someone son." The old man said with his voice soft but steady.

"I've... Never thought it that way..."

"I know you are smart, very clever. But you're also too reckless. We care about you, all of us do. I'm not forbidding you from doing anything 'cause I know you won't listen to me; I'm just asking you to stop and think things through for a second, to keep in mind that you're not the only one who doesn't want to lose anyone else Stiles."

"Dad..."

"He asked me to throw you in jail if it was necessary to keep you from going there; but I know nothing will stop you from protecting him, or Scott, or me if I were in danger. Just promise me you'll try to be as careful as you can."

"Dad... I have something to tell you... I was at the hospital on weekend. I asked them not to tell you anything. I'm sorry" Stiles said almost crying, feeling guilt for his father's reaction and the way he hid things from the man.