Chapter 17

At the next morning he woke up quite early. He was still under the effect of meds; he remembered something about Derek kissing his forehead and caressing his hair, he sighed at the memory thinking it was nothing but a dream. He slowly sat up to see something that made his heart skip several beats.

At his side, Derek was leaning forward and resting on his bed; his arms crossed under his head and his face turned toward Stiles. It was the first time Stiles contemplated Derek sleeping. His eyelids fully covering his motionless eyes. His nostrils barely moving with each breathing. The muscles on his face relaxed, giving him a peaceful aspect and even making him look younger. Stiles was bewitched by the sight in front of him when suddenly Derek snorted "Quit staring at me Stiles. It's annoying" he mumbled and Stiles chuckled. "How are you feeling?" he asked.

"Surprisingly great. My head aches a bit though but I guess it's normal when you sleep over twelve hours" he grunted. "Could you do something about it?" he asked with an endearing look. Derek rolled his eyes with a smile on his face. He cupped the boy's face between his hands and kissed his temples. Stiles felt the pain and the effect of the medication go away.

"As much it displeases me, you two look cute together you know" Scott said.

Derek was startled, he didn't smell or hear the boy get near and enter the room; his surprise was such that unintendedly he pushed Stiles' head backward and stood up turning to face Scott, he excused himself and left the room never taking his deadly glare off Scott.

Stiles was pushed with such force he collapsed on his back and grunted "Damn you Scott! There goes the soul of the moment you just killed. God knows if I'll get at least one more again" he said lowering his voice more and more at each word.

"Sorry, I just wanted to say that my mother told me that you will be discharged at noon" Scott whispered feeling guilty for ruining the scene. "I'm uh... Just gonna leave..." he stepped back.

"Wait, you got my company away so you're stuck with me as punishment, so come and entertain me until I get discharged" Stiles said in a playful tone. Scott smiled and entered. They spent the entire morning talking about college applications and stuff.

Derek was in the hospital's rooftop trying to figure out everything that had happened lately when a voice cut through his thoughts.

"Your hands smell like him. The spearmint on him is really soothing, isn't it?" he turned to face Liam "I know you don't like me, it's okay. I already accepted the way he feels about me and how he feels about you. He's very special. Clever and hilarious. Never met someone like him before. I know you've suffered a lot Derek and if there's someone who can make you forget all that and make you happy it's Stiles" he said with a sincere smile.

"What made you fall for him?" Liam asked after a few seconds of silence and Derek furrowed his brow a little at the question "Oh sorry. Forget that. I just wanted to make clear that if you hurt him or if you don't protect him as you should, there's gonna be a new alpha in Beacon Hills" he threatened with a smile panting Derek's shoulder and heading back inside the hospital.

"In a way; his scent" Derek whispered "But it's not only spearmint. There's also another scent that reminds me of home" he added in a very low and soft voice. "He also knows how to get under my skin. He's not afraid of me. Also his brain is quite sharp. He saved me a lot of times too and when I think of funny moments in my life after the fire; Stiles is on each one of them" he said staring nowhere in particular.

"However, I can't be with him. It would mean exposing him to a lot of danger and I might not be able to protect him from everything. If keeping him away from me makes him safe it's better that way." He stated. "When I left I had no intent on returning, but something told me that something was very wrong here. Only when I got here I understood that my instinct was warning me about Stiles. I intended to leave the same night I returned but, I couldn't. It was because of him. I didn't know why, but now I do and I can't expose him to such dangers Liam." He said worried and sad.

"Are you forgetting all his close friends are supernatural creatures? With or without you he will always be in danger. With you he will be safer. And you know he is reckless, he will always jump in front of danger to save or help the people he cares about. You're a good guy Derek; don't let the ghosts of your past get in your way. You deserve happiness as much as Stiles does; and right now his happiness lies within you." Liam reassured the alpha "Don't make him go through the same thing Hayden made me go through" he added staring the floor.

Derek looked at him and remembered her words; the reason she didn't want to be saved. After a few seconds Derek got closer and hugged the sad beta "It seems it's tradition for us to see our first love die. Let's do everything we can so no one else we care about dies. Thank you Liam. You're not as bad as you look at first sight" he said, Liam rolled his eyes but didn't break the embrace.

"Thank you too, I guess. Oh and before you say anything, I won't tell a thing" he added with a smile, Derek just nodded, and they headed back inside.

It was noon when the sheriff and Parrish arrived and Stiles' room was crowded. Everyone was there and he felt happy for his son. Soon after they all left; leaving the sheriff and Stiles alone. Stiles got discharged from the hospital almost at seven p.m. He was irritated and starving, and the sheriff promised home-made pizza for dinner.

Stiles was worried because if his dad was bad at something, it was cooking.

Once they got home, Stiles noticed the smell of food coming out from the house. The sheriff covered his son's eyes and directed him to the kitchen.

"Melissa that smells so good! Prepare yourself Scott, I'm gonna beat you up for not saying anything earlier" Stiles said and he got response from a voice he didn't expect making him blush and almost choke of surprise.

"I'm no Melissa and certainly there's no Scott here, Stiles. I asked your father to let me prepare you something special" Derek said with a smile, though Stiles' eyes were still covered. As soon Derek finished talking Stiles pushed his father's hands away and stared at Derek with disbelief.

The older boy was standing behind the kitchen counter; in front of him was a squared steel plate with a big, squared, home-made, peperoni and bacon pizza. It smelled delicious. Stiles reached for one pepperoni slice earning a painful slap on the back of his hand "Not yet Stiles! The garlic bread isn't ready yet" Derek growled, Stiles complained and sighed, and the sheriff laughed.

"Go fetch something to drink Stiles" Derek requested.

"But we have coke in the fridge! And some beers also" he answered.

"No, I drank the coke and a beer before you came. Cooking can be a little stressing" Derek stated handing some cash to the boy.

"You're sending the convalescent human to the super market?" Stiles inquiered earning a growl from Derek. Stiles huffed taking the money, the keys of his jeep and heading to the nearest market.

"No alcohol kiddo!" he heard his father yell before he left the house.

"You really drank all the coke?" the sheriff asked raising his brows.

"No sheriff. I just wanted him out so I could talk to you" he said very serious.

"Okay? Should I be worrying?" the old man ask.

"Perhaps a little" he responded with a malicious grin "There's something I've been thinking to do and I need your permission sheriff..." he began explaining.

About twenty five minutes later Stiles arrived and everything was set in the dining room. Everything was delicious; the Stilinskis flattered Derek for his cooking skills and he felt utterly embarrassed, he hadn't cook something special for anyone else in over ten years.

'Great, let's make a review: Handsome, cute, hot, sexy, rude, serious, sour, alpha werewolf, strong, fast, manly, and on top of that a great cook. This guy has it everything, I hate him so much...' Stiles thought and sighed.

After a couple hours of the Stilinskis talking and Derek mostly listening and chuckling, he said goodbye and headed to his loft. Stiles couldn't believe that in the last four months he had more interaction with Derek than in the previous three years. And apparently Derek was starting to care about him which gave him hope.

The group stopped looking for the creature thenext two weeks and no attack took place either.