Chapter Nine

Elijah's POV

I kiss him passionately, no tongues involved. I said it is sealing the deal but truth be told, I've longed to do this. To have his delicious looking lips on mine and damn! I was right about the delicious part. As much as I wish to keep on kissing him, I know I should let go. He gave me a chance but that doesn't mean he's accepted me whole. I hurting him made him tighten the security around his heart. I may be his mate but he won't let his guard down easily. It will take time and I'm willing to wait until that time.

I let go of his lips and we just stand there, looking in each other's eyes.

"I brought some food with me in the car and I think we should have some for lunch." I mumble, still looking at him.

"Um, yeah. That sounds good." He clears his throat awkwardly then looks away from me. I see the change in color of his ears and I know he is embarrassed. I smile finding it adorable and leave to collect the food in the car. I was planning on visiting this place today and I had some omega pack me things necessary for a picnic. What was a lonely occasion changed from nowhere as now I have Kacper with me and I wouldn't want it any other way.

We spend the day in the very heart of the forest. We eat; chat and well, we mostly talk. At some point, we fell asleep only to wake up with the sun gone and stars shining brightly in the sky. We silently watch the stars for some time then decides to call it a day.

By the time we reach home, Kacper is once again fast asleep on his seat. I unbuckle the seatbelt and carry him inside the house. The moment I am in, I see his friend Cadmael, sitting on the floor half asleep and just a few steps away from the front door. It's late, almost 11pm and he should be in bed by now.

"Hello." I greet a bit louder and successfully wake him up. He stands and looks at me questioningly then bows his head in respect.

"Alpha." He mumbles a greeting.

"Why are you not in bed at this time?"

"I'm sorry, Alpha. I just thought I should wait for Kacper until he's back, to see if he is okay or needs some help." He explains lightly.

"No need to apologize, though I'm sorry you had to wait for him this long. I assure you that Kacper is very fine. You can see him tomorrow." I tell him.

I'm happy to know my mate has someone who really cares for him, a true friend.

"Um,....ok." He hesitantly leaves for his room but keep on looking back at me until he disappears from my sight. I know he didn't exactly believe me but that's okay.

"Elijah!"

I'm about to leave for my room when my mum shouts my name. I turn to her and shush her to avoid waking Kacper.

"Where are you coming from? And what's wrong with him? Don't tell me you did something to hurt him again!" She whisper yells at me.

"No need to know where I'm coming from and mum, he's my mate so I can carry him anytime and it doesn't mean he's hurt." I respond quietly to her.

"Since when did you know he's your mate?" She asks looking suspiciously at me.

"Since I was ten, mum. Anyway, we talked about our issues and he gave me a chance to make it up to him. He's just sleeping, I didn't kill him." I say a bit harshly feeling myself getting angry at people not believing I can be good to my mate.

"Oh, okay. Good night then." Mum says and then leaves me standing there. I know I shouldn't have been ​angry to my mum, she was just worried about Kacper. Plus it's all my fault that they think I am a bad guy. Sighing, I make way to my-our room.