Chapter Twenty-One

KACPER'S POV

That day I waited for Elijah to come home. It was a bit strange to see Xavier coming back alone and he didn't even know where Elijah went. I kept on waiting until his car showed up, but I didn't go out to meet him. Liam refused to let me go out because he was afraid I might catch a cold, since I was kind of sick all day. He was a strict healer. I was just standing and watching the door, hoping it would be opened and reveal my handsome mate. But the door never opened and neither did I hear his car door open.

I became worried and I promised Liam that I would not go far but just to sneak a look at Elijah's car. When I came outside, I saw him just sitting in his car. He seemed to be in deep thought and I wondered what may have happened. I kept on watching and I could see the expressions on his face. I saw worry and I smiled; my mate must be worried about me. But then I saw, happiness? What was my mate happy about? Was it because he was going to finally see me after a long day at work? But why was he not coming in the house?

The expressions kept on changing and I couldn't even keep up. I was then worried a lot because this has never happened before and I got curious at what might have caused it. I decided to link him but then I stopped when he opened the door, thinking he would be coming inside. I stood there shocked to see him changing into his wolf. What was he doing? Was he going for a run? But we always go running together. Before I could make sense of what was happening, I saw him run off into the woods.

I tried to link him but I was blocked. I kept on trying and got the same result. I stopped when Liam ushered me inside and up to my room. He helped me prepare dinner, then left me after all was done and I was waiting for Elijah. I sat there and waited for my mate until Liam, as my healer, suggested I eat and then rest because it was getting late. I voiced out my worries that maybe something got wrong but he said my mate was an Alpha and could handle trouble.

I finished eating and put the rest of the food in the fridge. I didn't know if he will eat, when he comes back but I hoped he would. I went to sleep but it never came, so I just stayed up. When the room door opened, I was still awake and I checked the time to see it was after midnight. I was still awake when he ate, showered and came inside the bedroom. I was pretending to be sleeping when he kissed my forehead and whispered the words that got my curiosity of what happened today, rise tenfold.

"I'm sorry, I love you."

Why was he sorry? Was it because he blocked me on the link or because he came home late or because he missed dinner with me? But why did he do all those?

The next day, I woke up early and prepared breakfast. I planned to inquire what happened but I was disappointed when he refused my breakfast and left for work. He didn't even ask how I was doing or explained what happened yesterday. I waved it off and thought he will do that later in the night. But I was mistaken because he came home when I was already in bed and I pretended to be asleep again, only to hear the same thing he told me yesterday.

The rest of the week I continued to prepare breakfast which was repeatedly denied and I even sent lunch all the time, which I began to wonder if he ate that at all. During the night, he came while I was sleeping or more like pretending, and he first said the same thing but then it changed. I only got two words.

"I'm sorry."

Today Chris has come to check up on me. The last week he couldn't because he was busy and he still needed to check me because I'm still throwing up and dry heaving sometimes. Liam didn't find anything wrong and neither has Chris. He says it will pass and instructed Liam on some medicine to give me so that I can stop throwing up.

"Come on! You need some cheering up, Kacy. You don't look good emotionally and since you refuse to tell me what's wrong, I will just try to cheer you up." Chris says as he pushes me in the bedroom so that I can change my outfit.