Chapter 2 - Deserted

"Thank you so much," I said to an old lady who stood behind the cash register with a wide, fake smile plastered on her pale face as I grabbed the brown grocery bag from the counter and turned around.

Register ladies don't actually smile for real unless they are devoted to their job but I'm certain that this lady doesn't. As I walked away, my wolf enhanced my hearings as I heard her sigh heavily and cursed under her breath for how hopeless her fake smile was and that she needed to improve on it. I chuckled under my breath, shaking my head whilst bumping into a hard wall.

I looked up to find myself not facing a wall but a man. My bad, it was a person. "Sorry," I muttered with an apologetic smile before heading off. Just as I was about to cross the hectic road, a strong, large hand seized my forearm and pulled me back, catching me by surprise.

"I don't accept your apology," a deep, masculine voice said as I looked up to see a man with a stoned face, not bothering to assess his appearance.

I scoffed. "What are you going to do about it?" I arched my eyebrow, setting down the bag of groceries right beside me.

"Wow, I was expecting you to scream or cry like most girls," he answered before arching an eyebrow whilst putting his hands on his hips as another man approached and stood right next to him with a devilish smirk. It wasn't even attractive.

I rolled my eyes, annoyed at how rude humans can be. I picked up the grocery bags before heading towards the other direction, knowing that I could just run into the forest since I was familiar with it. I glanced at my watch, knowing that I was already late for my parents anniversary since it had already began half an hour ago.

Just before I could even take five steps, I was stopped again by the same hand. My wolf was immediately on high alert as I looked up at the afternoon, pinkish and orangish sky, sighing. I turned around and frowned at the two men who was now both smirking as I placed down my grocery bags once again before rolling up my imaginary sleeves.

I decided that I needed to kick some balls. And so that's what I did. I managed to boot the man who had grabbed my arm earlier where it would hurt most; his crotch. I watched in satisfaction as the man let out a cry in pain and grabbed his crotch as I snickered at the sight before his friend grabbed my brunette hair and threw me across the floor with all of his strength whilst people was already huddling, forming a crowd.

I bit my lip from growling since it would cause suspicions as I ran towards the man who had grabbed my hair and tackled him down onto the ground easily before punching his jaw repeatedly until my knuckles began to hurt. Not long after, another pair of strong hands grabbed my white shirt, lifting me up with ease as he threw me towards the crowd, making them all step back as if I was some sort of disease.

"You messed with the wrong girl," I declared out loud, ignoring the stringing pain that engulfed my body as my wolf's strength had taken over before I ran towards the nearby fountain and jumped onto the edge, kicking the man's face with my shoes. The man fell to the floor, slamming his head against the concrete as I cracked my knuckles.

In the corner of my eye, I saw the man who now had a crooked-looking jaw as I pivoted around and dodged his arm that was going to put me into a headlock and grabbed his left arm, twisting it backwards before kneeing him hard in the stomach as I heard him screech, I released his arm and kicked his back to the ground, letting him collapse onto his knees with a groan.

I watched both of the men crouched on the ground, giving me a deadly glare as I placed my hands on my hips in triumph whilst the crowd cheered and applauded. I curtseyed at every single angle before wiping the blood that was trickling down my lips. I grabbed the grocery bags before checking the time on my wrist once again. 7:00pm. Shit. I flew the cheering crowd into the direction of the dark and lonely woods, running as fast as I could towards my territory as I could detect the ache in my feet. I clenched my jaw at the pain whilst pushing myself harder, the wind blowing against me.

A new scent collided with my nose when I reached the Pack Grounds as I cautiously sniffed out the foreign scent. There were multiple scents here, I was sure of that, as I slowed down my pace and set the grocery bags behind a nearby tree before observing the area around me, thanking the moon goddess that I was a wolf since the eye sight was significantly useful. I stepped into the clearing, limp bodies collapsed onto the grass reared myself back into the trees as both of my hands suddenly clasped over my mouth. I stood there for moon goddess knows how long, thoughts running wildly in my head as the hurt and anger coursed through my entire body. As if on their own accord, my legs ran towards the lifeless bodies that laid peacefully on the swaying grass in their beautiful attires, noticing some elders and adults necks that had been split opened by wolf claws. I fought the urge to cry.

One of the bodies had caught my eyes as I suddenly ran over to it and crouched down, my eyes assessing every pale feature before realising it was the Beta. I cringed at the sight of his face as half of it was clawed off. I swallowed the lump that was rising in my throat. I kissed two of my fingers before placing it onto his other half of his forehead before getting up and was already heading towards the Pack House.

Bodies of dead children laid lifelessly on the floor whilst I noticed some young adults and teenagers scattered across the kitchen counter tops, some with their heads detached from their necks and some with missing body pieces. I clenched my fists at the horrifying scene before me as I slowly and cautiously, walked into my father's office, afraid of what I might see next.

My hands grabbed the door handle as my heart beat began to increase whilst I opened the door slowly, only to smell a familiar scent. Blood. Sweat trickled down my forehead as my blue eyes caught sight of two dead but familiar bodies.

My eyes welled with tears as they caught sight of my pale and lifeless mother, laying on one side of the floor with her head detached from her body whilst my lifeless father...a knife struck through his chest where his heart would be beating. I gagged at the sight, the lump in my throat was too big to swallow so I let my tears run freely down my cheeks.

I screamed, cried and begged for my parents to come back to me as the hurt and anger surfaced, making my inner wolf rise and a howl was released from my mouth. After what seemed like an eternity, I had calmed down as I kissed my mother's forehead before I headed towards my father and kissed his cold cheek softly. A sudden urge occurred as I began to turn around and sat on his chair as I noticed blood stains that was formed into words. We're coming for you, was all it said. I clenched and unclenched my jaw before starting going through his draws on the left and found nothing. I went through his right draws and almost found nothing until my eyes laid themselves onto a bright white sheet of paper. I tilted my heads in confusion before picking it up as I recognised my father's cursive handwriting.

If anything happens, BlueMoon will be your destination. The alpha will take you under his wing. Stay safe, love dad.

My father was expecting the intruders.

The BlueMoon pack's alpha was one of my father's oldest and trustworthy friends since moon goddess knows how long. They were allies for a very long time, even before my father's birth. My father used to tell me a lot of stories of him and BlueMoon's alpha's adventures before they both took the alpha positions and that had lead to them having their own responsibilities.

I nodded to myself and took one last look at the golden picture frame he had on his wooden desk. It was a man who looked strong and a woman who was as kind as ever, smiling big at the camera. The little girl was sitting on top of the man's broad shoulders, around the age of seven looking fierce with her thin arms flexed. A small tear escaped my eye as I quickly wiped it away before putting the frame down so that the picture wasn't visible.

I didn't dare to look back as my eyes was focused ahead, knowing that getting to BlueMoon was now my top priority. I didn't pack anything but only brought a black cape with a hoodie attached before exiting the place where I grew up, where I was trained and loved but most of all, where I had a pack that I called home.