Chapter 1: Goodbye Finishing School

If you are reading this story on any other platform other than Wattpad (W*att*pad, not any other site) you are very likely to be at risk of a malware attack. If you wish to read this story in it's original, safe, form, please go to https://www.wattpad.com/story/52944402-the-season-season-series-1

"Libby, you are unfailingly and appallingly masculine."

I kicked my feet under my chair with even more gusto, knowing it would further infuriate the Headmistress. As predicted, she sniffed ever so delicately, the sound that any student at the Hargrove Ladies Academy could recognize as the sound of impending doom.

"I have written to your parents to inform them that effective immediately, your studies here have been terminated," she said, rising out of her cushy office chair to tower above me, a pose she affected frequently as it allowed her to look down her substantial nose at her pupils.

"Yes, Miss Halpern," I trilled, utilizing the same monotone as when I chorused with the rest of the girls. She sniffed again, her neck turning an angry puce.

"My dear, you are completely and utterly incorrigible. There is nothing left for me to do with you and I daresay there is little hope for your future!" she sputtered, visibly trying to restrain herself from whatever indecencies she truly wished to spout.

"Yes, Miss Halpern," I repeated, letting my gaze wander to the windows. The buds were popping on the trees, most of the snow and ice from this past winter running down the branches as the world thawed. The songbirds had returned, their melodious din making me long for the outdoors instead of this stuffy office.

"Will you please listen to me!" she trilled, slamming a thick stack of paper down onto the desk to tear me from my reverie.

"You are by far the worst pupil I have ever had to finish. These are the reports from your teachers, all of them professing the exact same difficulties. You are rude, incorrigible, uncouth, impetuous and I can say with utmost certainty that you, Libby Marks-Whelan, will never, ever be a lady!"

"Thank goodness," I breathed, slumping my shoulders in relief. I glanced up at Miss Halpern and stifled a grin at her quaking shoulders. Her jaw muscle quivered and the precariously balanced monocle tumbled from her right eye.

"Out! Out this instant, you disrespectful, deviant little...little...!" she squealed, searching for an appropriate insult. I took my leave, ducking the swat of her hand before she slammed the door to her study behind me. With a gleeful little giggle, I kicked my heels together and stuck my tongue out at her door.

Freedom!

I strolled through the dark wood panelled hallways of Hargrove, well aware that this would be my last time inside a finishing school of any sort. My parents had made it abundantly clear that this effort would be their last. I'd already failed out of most every school besides Hargrove, so it had taken a substantial "donation" for Miss Halpern to even so much as consider my application. I was certain my mother had saved her alma mater for last, hoping that at some point I would have outgrown my impish desire to wreak havoc. Sadly there weren't enough finishing schools in the country to outlast that particular goal.

I passed the door to Miss Cumberland's sewing class, the quiet music and hushed voices reminding me of the gilded cage I was soon to escape.

"Out you go," I said, fishing in my apron pocket for the tiny mouse I'd stowed there this morning. The poor thing had curled up and gone to sleep, but it stirred as I cradled it in my hands. I had planned on leaving it in Amelia Earnscliffe's bed during lunch, but thanks to my imminent dismissal, I'd been forced to come up with a different plan.