Chapter 14.2: Return to Reality

The sun had run a lazy arc across the sky, the grass cool and soft beneath my hands as I leaned on the tree next to Andrew. He'd pointed out the villages in the distance, keenly familiar with each of them to the point he could describe each of their unique features. There was Castlerock, the nearest, that was known for their excellent smithy, followed by Harridon, perched atop a hill with a magnificent church spire visible even from such a distance. When I watched Andrew talk about them, I caught glimpses of the king he would become, one that was genuinely interested in his people and his country.

"Are you really boring her by talking about villages?" Thomas demanded, collapsing on the picnic blanket some time later, exhausted from sparring with James. It had been clear that James was the superior swordsman, as he had barely broken a sweat while Thomas appeared to have run his paces. The other noble had taken a seat near Anne and Miss Claridge, exchanging some quiet words with the governess.

"I find it fascinating," I said, cutting Andrew off before he could reply. Thomas made a face.

"Well I find it dreadfully dull," he said, casting a disinterested glance towards the villages in the distance, "Why must we even care that Boughton has the world's best treacle tart? Bravo for them, it's a pudding,"

I tried to stifle my laugh, but I wasn't quite fast enough. Thomas shot me an appreciative sidelong grin while Andrew harrumphed.

"I think it's admirable when a town takes pride in something," Andrew said, clearly annoyed by his brother, "For instance-"

"Just wait, he's about to mention the Castlerock smiths again," Thomas stage whispered to me. Andrew cut himself off with an exasperated sigh.

"I suppose there was at least some luck that I'm the one to inherit the crown," Andrew fired back. But his words clearly didn't have the desired effect, as Thomas' grin simply widened.

"Luck indeed, for while you're worrying about local puddings and blacksmiths and the contents of the royal treasury, I'll be courting ladies and travelling the world," Thomas said, watching me as if he was waiting for me to laugh. But I didn't laugh this time, because the picture the younger prince had just painted of his brother's life seemed a dull one indeed. I shot a look at Andrew, who was still scowling, and decided that I needed to lighten the mood.

"I wonder which of us could climb a tree fastest," I said, springing to my feet. Both the princes looked up at me in surprise, Princess Anne pausing in her reading.

"We're not permitted to climb trees," she said, "It's unseemly,"

"I'd thought you'd heard about me," I teased, "Unseemly activities are my specialty,"

I'd already tested one of the lower hanging branches, reaching up to pull myself up and over it. Andrew was on his feet in an instant, hovering beneath where I was struggling to my feet on the thick tree limb.

"Oh I like her very much," Thomas said, shooting Andrew a grin, "Dare to keep up, Andy?"

The younger prince had seized another limb, swinging up with seemingly much less effort than it had taken me. I blamed the hindrance of my riding skirts as I reached up towards another branch, bracing my feet against the trunk as I climbed.

"You'll break your necks!" Anne protested, her French book forgotten as she joined Andrew looking up between the branches at us. James and Miss Claridge looked on with barely veiled disapproval, but I'd already pegged them as being the spoilsports of the group.

"Spoken like a true coward, Annie!" Thomas called. He had already scaled above me, leaning down to offer me a hand up.

"Libby come down from there!" Andrew called back, clearly not willing to climb up after me.