Chapter 15.2: The Painting

"Going somewhere?" Andrew asked, dropping his hands from where he'd caught my shoulders. I looked up at him through a haze of tears and his expression changed from amused to alarmed.

"What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing, but if you'll excuse me," I said, ducking around him as I dabbed at my eyes to keep the tears from ruining my makeup. I exited the ballroom, hurrying down the side hallway until I turned the corner towards the little library. Barely able to breathe thanks to the corset I'd squeezed into for the sake of my new dress, I sagged against the wall, pressing my hands to my face as I forced the tears back into my eyes.

I couldn't believe Edward. I'd known he was frightfully sneaky, but for him to marry rich and then completely abandon us in a time of need was downright indecent. Suddenly it made so much more sense why Xavier had abandoned his studies at Oxford to pursue them at the much less expensive Royal Conservatory here in Highcastle. I shook my head to clear it, gritting my teeth.

When I finally opened my eyes, I let out a shriek. Andrew was standing across the hall from me, similarly leaning on the wall, his arms crossed and his expression worried.

"I wasn't about to let you run away before you gave me an answer," he said, reaching into his pocket to produce a handkerchief. I gratefully accepted it, dabbing at my face.

"My brothers came to visit," I said, my voice thick from the tears.

"Yes, I'd noticed that," Andrew said. I inhaled shakily, fighting back the sob that threatened to escape.

"I take it you're not very close with them," Andrew said gently as I stared at the hem of my skirt. I snorted.

"Edward is an ass," I said, "But Xavier's my best friend,"

"Then I take it Edward was the one who upset you," Andrew said. I looked up at him, his brow still knit with concern.

"Honestly, it's nothing. Just petty family drama that caught me by surprise," I lied, "I was running away so I wouldn't make a scene, and yet here I am making a scene in front of royalty,"

"I have something to show you that might cheer you up," he said, pushing off the wall and extending a hand to me. I watched him for a beat until he cocked his eyebrow.

"I owe you a surprise for that dance, you know," he urged. I sighed and took his hand, my skin icy compared to his.

"I'm hoping you read up on Alistair and Mysthena," he said, leading me back towards the entrance hall, "For we're about to test your theory about books and art,"

I stopped, digging my heels in when we reached the hall, in no mood to return to the ball.

"It's just beyond the dining room," Andrew said, giving my hand a little tug to urge me on. I shot a worried look towards the ballroom, chewing my lip.

"Please, I promise you'll enjoy it," Andrew said gently, and I yielded. We both hurried across the entrance hall, ducking into the dining room hallway before anyone could come out of the ballroom and see us. I allowed him to lead me, savouring the warmth of his hand around mine. We turned a few corners, emerging into a windowed hallway, the dark glass reflecting the few candles left burning at this time of night.

"Here it is," Andrew said, taking up a candelabra to light the four candles from the one he'd been carrying.

"It's far grander in the daylight, especially at dawn. The windows positively flood it," he said, gesturing to a wall of darkened windows behind us before stretching his arm up toward the top left corner of the painting. It was huge, and even stretching, Andrew's arm barely managed to illuminate the corners.