Chapter 15: Searching the Ballroom

Ella was true to her word the next day, approving of the sapphire ball gown Audra had hurriedly altered for me. She'd changed the neckline to one the rest of the debutantes were favouring, an off the shoulder look that was far more elegant than I was used to. Both Ella and Rosanna commented on how it was much improved, which was a relief given that it was my only ball gown now that Ella had commandeered the navy and green one.

We arrived to the ball with far less fanfare than on the opening night, the debutantes surging from their rooms and descending as one into the ballroom. The dancing had already begun, pausing only when the royals entered. As was custom, the debutantes refrained from dancing until the prince had selected his first partner. Unsurprisingly, it was Sarah Thornbury first, followed by Ashley Mayfair then Ella.

While it irked me to see Ashley winning a laugh from Andrew, I was more preoccupied searching for my brothers in the mass of ball attendees. Tonight's ball had more guests than any I'd attended yet that Season and I was forced to wade among them, craning my neck for any glimpse of our trademark Marks-Whelan auburn hair.

"I wouldn't dare hope you were looking for me?"

Oliver Pendleton's horsey grin materialized before me, bowing in greeting.

"Alas no," I said, dropping a curtsey, "My brothers are supposed to be in attendance tonight,"

"Have they arrived yet?" he asked. I shook my head.

"It would seem not, as I've circled the room at least three times already," I said, still looking around while we spoke.

"Then permit me one dance before you resume your search?" he asked. As much as I wanted to refuse him, I knew there was a strong chance that Vile Edith could still be primping at the house.

"Of course," I said, forcing a smile as Oliver took my hand.

I was a thoroughly distracted dance partner, stomping on his foot when I lost count in my scanning of the room. Oliver didn't seem to mind and laughed away my profuse apologies. I did a double take when we waltzed past Andrew and Jane Cartwell, stomping on Oliver's foot a second time as I whipped my head around to be sure I wasn't seeing things.

"Is that Jane?" I blurted out, making Oliver look around as well.

"I believe so, yes," he replied, confused. I shook my head, wondering whether the rules had changed since my last ball. Rosanna had made it abundantly clear that the prince was to dance with debutantes only, but Jane was very much a lady-in-waiting.

When the dance ended, I did my best to escape Oliver, who had offered to fetch me some punch. I pretended to head for the ladies restroom, only to circle around and continue to search for my brothers. It was no longer so early that Edith could convince them to delay their arrival in order to appear fashionably late, so I circled the ballroom again while the dancers twirled a quick gavotte. When I still saw no sign of my auburn-haired brothers, I served myself a glass of punch to quench my thirst before setting off again.

I'd made up my mind to sneak up to one of the upper balconies to get a better vantage point when the music ended. I cursed my luck as people flooded to and from the dance floor, plastering a smile on my face as I wove around them.

"I'm calling in your debt,"

I felt Andrew's fingers close around mine as I whirled around to face him in the chaos of in between dances. My stomach got to fluttering again as he smiled down at me.

"Oh Andrew, Ella will flay me!" I said, casting a nervous glance around.

"I've already danced with two other ladies in waiting," he said, leaning in to whisper as he shot me a devious little grin, "She has no reason to complain, especially since I spent our entire dance flirting with her,"