Chapter 4.2 Breaking Royal Ice

"Let's go watch, shall we?" Rosanna said, leading us towards the edge of the dance floor again. We took up our positions as the dancers commenced a slow pavane. Andrew and Ella conversed quietly, smiles bouncing back and forth between them. He said something to make her blush prettily, turning her face down so as to look up at him through her lashes.

"Good girl," Emily muttered beside me. I glanced over to see a look of smug satisfaction on her face, while Rosanna had clasped her hands reverently again, her eyes following Ella and the prince.

I rolled my eyes with a sigh, looking around once more. If this was what I had to look forward to for the rest of my summer, I was sorely tempted to commit some terrible social faux pas and be done with it.

The song ended and Ella dropped a graceful curtsey as Andrew captured her hand to kiss it once more. Rosanna looked as if she might faint from happiness while Emily's triumphant smirk had yet to leave her face.

"One more dance?" Oliver had appeared beside me, grinning his buck-toothed smile as he bowed.

"Oh yes please," I exhaled, relieved not to have to stand here any longer. Oliver flushed, still smiling, and I realized too late that my relief had probably been mistaken for enthusiasm.

"You are a wonderful dancer," he said, as he lined me up for the dance.

"Thank you," I replied a little awkwardly, wishing I'd been a little more subtle. He was looking at me now like I was the most wonderful thing that had happened to him all night while I was racking my brain for all those lessons I'd ignored in etiquette class; I never could have imagined myself in need of a gentle excuse to dissuade a potential suitor.

"Pardon me, if you please," came a voice from beside me. Prince Andrew backed between me and the lady to my left, lining Mary Marquette up next to me before he fell in next to Oliver. I followed him with my eyes as he lined up, our eyes meeting ever so briefly before a small smile tugged at the corners of his lips. Before I could ask Oliver to change our position in the quadrille, the music started and I cursed inwardly, plastering a pleasant smile on my face.

I danced around Oliver before backing into my starting position, Andrew sidestepping to stand in front of me.

"So, you're Ella's lady-in-waiting?" he said, this time a question.

"Yes, your Highness," I said, wishing the dance would move faster so I could be done with him.

"A lady-in-waiting who masquerades as a maid," he continued thoughtfully, before fixing me with a look, "Don't think I don't realize what you're up to,"

And just like that, before I could even frame a response, our time together was over. I came up to William Weatherington, who gave me a polite nod before taking my hand. The rest of my partners were silent, save for Oliver when he returned to me.

"It has truly been wonderful dancing with you, Miss...Elizabeth, if I may?" he asked. I sighed.

"Miss Marks-Whelan, if you please," I said, the words falling from my mouth exactly as they had been practiced so many times at finishing school. I didn't miss the way his spine went rigid, his brows knitting together in a frown as he tried to piece together what he had done for me to brush him off. He opened and closed his mouth several times and I was overcome with guilt. Exhaling, I bit my lip.

"Oliver, I'm sorry. I was only relieved to be dancing as opposed to standing around watching all the other ladies enjoying themselves," I explained, "I mean no insult, but I am already on tenterhooks with my cousin as it is. It would not do for me to appear to be fishing for a courtier while here to attend to Ella,"