Chapter 16.1: The Ballet

"Now what's all this about?" Xavier asked, as we finally found our seats in the parterre at the ballet. Xavier had commented on how good our seats were, but my eyes kept turning up towards the royal box. The seats James had acquired were beneath it such that I couldn't see who was there with him and Andrew couldn't see me. It was a fair enough compromise on James' part in that he'd followed Andrew's wishes and invited me to the ballet, but he'd also successfully managed to keep me away from the prince for an evening. Well played, Lord Amberly.

"All this is about that fact that our list just got shorter by one," I said, shooting a look up towards the royal box.

"It's barely been one day!" Xavier laughed.

"Yes, and Lord Amberly has decided that I'm no longer to be a friend of his or the prince's," I said darkly. Xavier chuckled.

"You always hated it when you didn't have your way," he said. I glared at him.

"So I've decided to start taking this seriously, as you suggested," I continued as if he hadn't spoken.

"Excellent choice, but it still doesn't explain why you succeeded in dragging me to a ballet," Xavier said.

"At the intermission, I need you to help me bump into someone from the list," I said.

"Bump into someone? This isn't a marketplace Libby, it's a ballet!" Xavier laughed anew.

"Well we'll have to figure something out, won't we? You're the intelligent one, think on it," I hissed as we clapped for the conductor before the lights dimmed and the music started.

***

Xavier had thoughtfully chewed his lip throughout the whole performance, while I had to keep from scooting to the edge of my seat because I was so enthralled. Once again, Andrew had proven me dreadfully wrong about my imagination being the greatest interpreter of the written word. The ballet was magnificent, the sets and the costumes bringing to life things my mind couldn't have imagined. I'd been to ballets before as a girl, but I had never been old enough to appreciate the talent and grace with which the dancers made their movements seem effortless. When the house lights rose for intermission, Xavier had to nudge me to get me to rise.

"That was wonderful," I said, still in awe as he offered his arm to escort me towards the grand foyer where all the attendees were milling between acts.

"Well then at least you enjoyed it," he said, "Because I've racked my brain and I can't think of a single reason for us to-"

"Libby?"

The voice made the pair of us turn around towards where Georgina was standing on the staircase next to an older man in a very dapper suit.

"Hello Georgina," I said, "I didn't expect to see you here,"

"Father, this is Elizabeth Marks-Whelan," Georgina said, shooting a look at Xavier as I curtseyed to her father.

"Ah yes, the troublesome girl my Georgie has befriended. How very good to put a face to the name," her father said through his thick moustache. Georgina blushed beet red at the pet name.

"This is my brother Xavier," I said, my brother shaking hands with Georgina's father before bowing to Georgina herself.

"Very pleased to have met you," Xavier said, gallantly ignoring Georgina's blush.

"We were just on our way up, were you stuck in the parterre?" Georgina asked.

"Unfortunately yes, but I'm just happy to be seeing such a lovely show," I said. Georgina's father harrumphed.