Chapter 15.3: The List

The door to the library opened some time later and I hastily untucked my feet from where I'd been sitting on them.

"That prince of ours is a very obliging fellow," Xavier said, taking a look around as he closed the door behind him, "However I daresay I've poked my head into one too many useless rooms trying to figure out which one was the 'little library',"

"Is it true?" I asked, closing the book of legends as Xavier took a seat across the reading table from me. He loosened his necktie, avoiding my gaze.

"How much did Edward tell you?" he asked. I crossed my arms.

"Enough to know that we're in trouble," I replied. Xavier cocked an eyebrow, well aware that I was trying to get him to reveal more than I knew by bluffing.

"He said the money's gone and that he and his vile wife don't intend to help," I said, resting my face in my hands, "Oh Vee, what are we going to do?"

"Well the money's not all gone," Xavier said, prying my hands apart to hold them as he leaned across the table towards me, "But you can't keep ordering new dresses as if you have an unlimited budget,"

"But this is my only ball gown! How am I supposed to participate in any events if I have nothing to wear?" I protested. Xavier sighed.

"Perhaps you could ask Ella to order you some, if the situation really is that drastic. That is a very fine dress, I don't see why you couldn't just re-use it," he said. I snorted.

"Spoken like a true male, Vee," I snapped, "If I dared set foot to a function in this dress any time in the coming weeks, I'd be ridiculed as a pauper,"

"Then I suppose you won't be attending any balls in the coming weeks," Xavier said, "Which brings me to the next point that Edward likely left out,"

"Oh?" I asked, a tiny bubble of hope blooming in my chest.

"There is a solution to our problem that doesn't involve our self-absorbed brother and his horrid wife," Xavier said slowly, "But you probably won't like it very much,"

"What is it?" I asked, unnerved by the way Xavier was now chewing his lip in much the same way I always chewed mine when nervous.

"Mother and Father want you to find a suitable husband. One with enough money to get us out of this problem," he said. The bubble of hope in my chest burst.

"Vee..." I started, shaking my head. I felt like the walls of the room were creeping closer and closer, threatening to stifle me. A marriage for the sake of money, it was the stuff of nightmares. I was still shaking my head as it filled with visions of half-blind old dukes stooped with age.

"I know it's objectionable, but we've run out of options now that Edward won't help," Xavier said, giving my hands a squeeze.

"Why does it have to be me? Nobody would want to marry me!" I protested, squeezing his hands back, "Why can't you seduce some rich viscountess instead?"

"Because I'm not a part of the Season," he replied, "And all I have to my name is a half-completed university degree. Edward stands to inherit the family's name, which means that no noble in their right mind would ever think I'd be a suitable match for their daughter,"

"And I'm a finishing school dropout who sneaks around dressed as a maid! How can that possibly be any more desirable!" I shot back. Xavier barked a laugh.

"You're sneaking around dressed as a maid?" he asked. A grin tugged at my cheeks despite my despair.

"They have the most useful service corridors here. I...borrowed an apron, so now I really look the part," I said. Xavier laughed.