Chapter 8: Almost Dismissed

Ella studiously ignored me for the rest of the afternoon, forcing on a smile so she could socialize with the other debutantes. Ashley kept shooting me glances, grinning as she whispered with Sarah and Penelope. The whispers didn't bother me that much - I'd dealt with far worse female intimidation tactics at Glen Abbey - but my cousin's cold shoulder did. I made sure to stay far away when Andrew and James came to seat themselves near the ladies, focusing intently on the blades of grass I was braiding together whenever I felt the prince's eyes on me.

I tried once more to speak to Ella when we mounted for the ride back into Highcastle, but she made great show of being enamoured in conversation with Emily, who was all too eager to play along. I was left to hang back behind them, overhearing Ashley and Sarah's mean little titters and giggles behind me.

"...did you see? She had leaves in her hair!" Sarah hissed, her voice loud enough for it to reach my ears.

"And with such hair, it's no wonder Lord Amberly was able to spot her. She's an orange beacon!" Ashley whispered back while Sarah giggled.

I kept my expression carefully neutral despite how rotten I felt inside. I knew from experience that one had only to endure such taunting without succumbing to it until the bullies eventually grew bored. I had a feeling that with these girls especially, given that I'd enraged them by showing up with two of the Season's most eligible bachelors, any sign of weakness would be used to torment me for the rest of the summer.

Ella continued to ignore me as the three of us finally made our way back to her rooms, my cousin hurrying from the courtyard where all the rest of the ladies were dismounting and attempting to draw the prince's attentions. She had muttered some excuse about a dress fitting to Ashley, who had promptly shot me an arch little look as she nodded.

"How was the hunt?" Rosanna asked, standing with a smile as she set down her embroidery when we entered. Ella let out a little huff as she disappeared into her room. Emily was grinning again and I wanted so very badly to slap her.

"Libby ran off with the prince," Emily taunted, shooting me a sass-filled look as she settled herself next to the afternoon tea tray.

"I did not!" I protested, as Rosanna let out a horrified gasp.

"Well you were one of the last to arrive," Emily shot back, "And with the prince and Lord Amberly no less!"

"I got lost!" I cried, "For heaven's sake, do you really think I'd be trying to catch the eye of a prince looking like this?"

"But were you trying to catch his eye?"

The question drew all eyes in the room to where Ella was standing in her doorway, her arms crossed as she glared at me. I swallowed.

"Of course not," I said, while Emily snorted.

"I think it's obvious, Ella. She's more of a liability than an asset," Emily sneered. I shot her a glare, unintimidated, before I turned back to face my cousin's icy stare. Before I could open my mouth to apologize, Ella spoke again.

"Emily, leave us please," Ella said stiffly, "Rosanna, I need help setting my hair. And you, in here with me"

I didn't bristle at the tone she used with me, but instead followed my cousin into her room behind Rosanna. Ella closed the door behind us, pressing a fist to her forehead as she squeezed her eyes closed.

"You've put me in an awful position," she said finally, opening her eyes to look at me. I tried not to squirm under her stare while Rosanna busied herself with the combs on Ella's vanity.

"I'm sorry, Ella, I really am," I said.

"I don't have much of a choice now, Libby. I hope you understand why I have to send you home," she said, even pained disappointment a pretty expression on her face.