Chapter 13: The Museum

Our carriage lurched to a halt as we finally pulled up to the carriage blocks outside the museum. I stared out the carriage window at the imposing marble-columned portico, lit up in a myriad of colours by hanging paper lanterns. It was only when Rosanna called my name that I realized the other girls had already left the carriage and I was still sitting there, gaping.

The footman helped me out of the carriage and it took a conscious effort to keep my jaw from dropping. I'd been to the Royal Museum once as a girl, when Edward was starting his universities studies in the city, but I hadn't remembered it being so grand.

"We must make every effort to pair Ella with the prince," Rosanna was whispering to Emily as we climbed the marble stairs towards the entrance. Behind us, Penelope Roxton and her ladies in waiting were letting out muffled squeals as they climbed out of their carriage.

I couldn't keep my eyes in one place as we crossed into the grand foyer, displays of artifacts from Egypt and the Far East lining the walls. At the far end, the foyer opened in a long hall lined with paintings. Rosanna pulled up short in front of me and I nearly slammed into her as my head swiveled to and fro, taking everything in. A string quartet played softly in the corner, their music wafting over the quiet chatter of the nobles milling about.

"Look, the king and queen are in the Egyptian exhibit," she whispered, grabbing Emily by the arm as Ella floated on in front of us, "Go see if the prince is with them,"

Emily shot off towards the brightly colored golden tombs in the room to the left, where the king and queen were chatting amiably with a few older nobles. Rosanna caught up with Ella and I hung back, wondering if they would notice if I wandered off on my own. When they didn't look back for me, I turned on my heel and headed in the opposite direction, towards the right wall where a display case filled with jade sculptures stood. I couldn't help but run a gloved hand along the glass as I wondered down at the miniatures, each more detailed than the last.

"They frown upon touching things, you know," someone whispered behind me.

I jumped, turning to face Lord Amberly who was eyeing my hand as it lingered on the glass. I fought a grin as I pulled it back as if burned.

"But look at them! Have you ever seen something like them?" I said, turning back to look at the jade. The nobility seemed to be following the king and queen into the Egyptian exhibit as there were relatively few people around us.

"They are marvellous," James admitted, "But you do realize the museum suggests a viewing order to their galleries? They recommend starting with the Egyptian exhibit and working your way around,"

I made a face as I looked over to the already overcrowded exhibit, only to catch a thoroughly shocked Rosanna looking at me.

"Oh drat," I swore under my breath. James nearly spat out the champagne he'd begun to sip.

"Sorry, again," I said, as he regained his composure, "But I don't suppose you'd do me an enormous favor?"

"You seem to be quite fond of favors," he remarked, handing his champagne flute to a passing servant as if scared I'd make him nearly spill again. My eyes were still on Rosanna, whose face was slowly going red as she looked from James to me and back again.

"Have you met my cousin?" I asked, inclining my head towards where Ella was hesitating at the entrance to the Egyptian exhibit, clearly still looking around for any sign of the prince.

"I haven't had the pleasure yet," James said.

"Excellent," I said, linking my arm with his before he could proffer it and subtly leading him across the room towards Ella, "Because you are about to save me from a heap of trouble,"

James said nothing, too shocked by my brazenness to do anything but shake his head. As we approached, Ella noticed me and her eyes popped at seeing my arm in James'.

"Lord Amberly, may I present my cousin, Ella of Canterbury," I said, releasing him as we stopped in front of Ella. She dipped a graceful curtsey, Rosanna doing the same despite the glare she had fixed me with.

"Lovely to meet you," Ella said, rising from her curtsey and extending her hand.

"The pleasure is entirely mine," James said, his bewildered look replaced by a very proper smile as he took Ella's gloved hand and kissed it, "Have you been to the museum before?"

"Once when I was younger, but only to see the paintings," Ella said, dimpling prettily as she smiled up at James.

"Apparently they have an entire display of ancient Egyptian jewelry, do you care to see it?" James said, offering his arm to Ella. Her smile widened as she linked her arm with his and the two of them entered the Egyptian exhibit.

"Since when are you on such familiar terms with Lord Amberly?" Rosanna demanded under her breath, taking a step towards me. I grinned.

"Oh we're very good friends," I said, snatching up a flute of champagne from a passing servant's tray, "I'm so happy I could introduce them,"

Rosanna did nothing but shake her head as I bobbed a curtsey and turned back towards the Far East exhibit on the opposite wall. I savored my champagne as I entered the much less crowded gallery, taking the time to read the plaques that explained what each artifact was and where it was from. I gaped for a few minutes at an exquisitely painted tea set before someone cleared their throat next to me.

"You certainly have a knack for getting yourself out of sticky situations," Georgina whispered, coming up beside me, "You should have heard the oath Rosanna let out when she saw you with Lord Amberly,"

"Fiddlesticks or I'll be damned?" I asked. Georgina stifled a laugh, our whispers already loud in the hushed exhibition room.

"Something grumbly and unintelligible," she replied, "Is she the reason you ran off to do the exhibits backwards?"

"It's so much easier to see when there aren't a dozen fawning nobles in front of the display case," I shrugged, crossing to the next glass cabinet that housed a magnificent silk robe, "What's your excuse?"

"I could hardly think with all the gossip in there. It seems Ashley has already sunk her claws into the prince and refuses to let anyone else get near," Georgina said, peering down a the description, "Did they really wear these things as dresses? It seems one gust of wind would create an indecency!"

I giggled and an older man examining the terra cotta soldier next to us let out a harrumph.

"Come on, let's go to the painting gallery before they kick us out," Georgina whispered, still giggling as she grabbed my arm and pulled me deeper into the museum.