Chapter 20.1: Libby the Eavesdropper

I burst through the door of the ladies' resting room heedless of the ruckus I caused. A number of feminine titters and exclamations followed me as I dashed through the sitting area to slam the door to a lavatory behind me. I leaned back against it, catching my breath. Despite the sprigs of lilac and lavender in the room, it did nothing to calm my nerves or hide the smell. I stayed only as long as it took me to compose myself, dashing away the few tears that had squeezed from my eyes.

Blowing out my cheeks, I drew my shoulders back and squared them. I had made a decision and I intended to follow through with it. Despite whatever emotions were still roiling around my gut, I was fairly certain it was the right choice. Andrew deserved at least some semblance of happiness in the future and a few weeks befriending me shouldn't result in him being stuck with some simpering idiot as a wife for the rest of his life.

Besides, I had my own troubles to attend to. My mother's list was still sitting at the bottom of my trunk, with three names now crossed off. James Amberly, William Weatherington, and Martin Pendleton were all no longer in contention. I wondered belatedly if my rude escape from Oliver had ruined any chance of potentially pursuing him as a suitor. If his chattering could be trusted, he would soon be taking his brother's place as a Season member which would surely be sufficient to earn my mother's approval.

I forced the bubble of panic back down when visions of boring houses and boring dinners with Oliver sitting across from me appeared in my head. I wouldn't think about the future now, I had a cotillion to attend.

"Maybelle dear, that right there is why I never permit you to stuff your face at a ball. Ladies don't barge into the resting room to go vomit up their dinner,"

I had made it halfway across the sitting room when Ashley's words drew my eyes to where she was primping at one of the many vanity tables. She was watching me in the mirror, her pale blue eyes dancing that she'd successfully drawn my attention. Satisfied that her jibe had been heard, she returned to studying her magnificent face in the mirror.

"But as I was saying, ladies," she continued, while Rosemary powdered her face and Jane and Maybelle adjusted her hair, "I'm not concerned in the least. Andrew was hanging all over me yesterday and if I keep away from him, he'll be sure to seek me out. All those ninnies are flocking to him because homely Harriet somehow won the first ring and now they're in a panic. They don't know how to keep a man guessing and wanting more,"

My feet rooted them to the spot as I fiddled with my bracelet, pretending to adjust it if only so I could listen to whatever else Ashley had to say about Andrew.

"But wouldn't it be wise to at least show some interest? Are you sure that ignoring him is a wise course of action?" Jane Cartwell asked, her face scrunched in concentration as she re-pinned some of Ashley's cascading blonde curls. The debutante swatted her away with a glower when Jane pulled too hard on a lock of hair.

"Ouch, you ham-fisted halfwit!" Ashley snarled, glaring at Jane, "And yes I'm sure! As for you, were you never taught that it's quite rude to stare?"

I didn't realize she was speaking to me until she'd risen from the chair and turned towards me. I dropped the hand that was fiddling with my bracelet to face her.

"That really is a fascinating hairdo, I was simply admiring Jane's handiwork," I said. Ashley's eyes narrowed as Jane flushed. The debutante cocked her head to the side, taking a few menacing steps towards me. I refused to be intimidated, especially in the face of such a bully.

"You know, I do think I've finally figured out why you're here," she said, pointing her fan at my chest as she started to circle me, dragging the lacy edge across my collarbone, "I've asked Ella time and again what you're good for and every time she blushes prettily without an answer. I originally thought you were simply here for your own reasons, but all too often you 'accidentally' end up in the same place as the prince..."