Chapter One

"Georgia! Can you please go to the market? We need some bread!" My sister, Ireland yells from the other corner of our shabby, old, house.

"Okay." I say getting up from my cozy, red, armchair.

I grab the extra money from the kitchen table and head out the squeaky front door.

My family and I are musicians that don't make that much money which is a struggle sometimes. We live in Kent which is usually nice, it rains on occasion and snows rarely. At least we don't live in the polluted south. At least we don't starve like they do.

Of course my family is very skinny, we don't get much to eat. My twin sister and I have little curves and the same dark brown, curly, long hair. We both have tan skin. The only difference is our eyes. Ireland looks like my mom and brother with green while I take after my father with blue.

As I make my way down the bustling streets I hum quietly to myself. The breeze of air cools my skin as I enter the crowded marketplace. I look around and find a stand with bread. Accidentally, I bump into a cute blonde haired boy about my age.

"Oops! I'm sorry. I should watch where I'm going." I laugh, brushing my brown hair behind my ear.

"Oh no, that was my fault. Sorry." He responds quickly.

I turn back around to the bread trying to think what to say to him when he disappears. I frown grabbing a loaf of wheat bread and walk to the check out aisle. I take out my money and set it by the bread.

"That's not enough." The cash register lady says with a signature scowl.

"It's 3 dollars. I have 3 dollars." I argue.

"Nope, tax rate went up. It's 4.50"

"That's crazy!" I yell. Taxes have increased so drastically that we had to stop buying milk a month ago.

Suddenly, the boy I saw earlier comes up and accidentally drops a glass juice bottle where the lady was standing. She bent down to clean it while he grabs the bread and my hand and starts sprinting.

Oh my goodness! This boy, probably on the wealthier side, just helped me steal bread. That's a crime. I could be put into a cell for who knows how long!

He pulls me in an ally and looks back at the market. The boy puts his finger on his lips and keeps me against the dark, dirt covered, wall. The market security runs past us on Main Street. The mystery guy let's out a breath I didn't realize he was holding.

"Who are you?" I ask, my eyes narrowing.

"Uhh. I'm Colton." He replies, combing his fingers through his blond hair.

"Hello, I'm Georgia." I say with a smile.

"Here's your bread. Those tax rates are crazy. I'm trying to fix them." Colton grumbles.

"What? How could you fix tax rates?" I ask, my eyebrows furrowing. This guy does not seem normal.

"Uhh, I'm an accountant in the Palace." He stutters with a weak smile.

"Wow, why would you want to help me then?" I ask pointing to my messy clothes. He was obviously a higher class, why would he give me a second glance, more or less steal me bread?

"I don't like seeing people upset. You need food and the price for that is rising. Though I have to tell you, I've never stolen anything before." Colton giggles, his adrenaline must be going through the roof.

"Anyway, I have to run. I have a meeting." He says turning around and waving goodbye.

I wave back with a small smile. He was really cute and sweet, too bad I'll most likely never see him again.

When I return home, Ireland and Mom rush up to me, waving a fancy looking parchment.

"They came! They came!" They chant in unison, dancing around the wooden floor.

Somehow, they managed to put me in a chair and put a pen in front of me. Then they set down the letter. No wonder it looked fancy, it is for Prince Cole's selection.

"No." I reply smoothly, pushing the form away from me. I have no interest in signing up for some stuck up Prince.

"Georgia Lily Summons, you will sign that paper. We need the money." Mom says waving her arms around like a crazy woman.

I look at my dad relaxing from his long day strumming on his guitar. My little brother, Jacob, playing with the few toys we had. I saw Ireland fiddling with her, already filled out form and my mother, gray streaks in her black hair. Her Spanish heritage has her aging better then most woman but the stress didn't help.

I heave a sigh and fill it out.

Name: Georgia Lily Summons

Province: Kent

Skin color: Tan white

Hair color: Dark brown

Special skills: Flute, oboe, piano, singing, painting, and dancing

Languages: Fluently English, German, French, and Spanish. Learning Russian.

"Done." I say dropping the pen and walking to my room.

I collapse on my bed wishing I won't get selected. I have no interest is marrying the Prince or becoming Princess.

The picture above is Georgia