Chapter Twelve

I wake up in the night. Why was I looking up in a ceiling of roots? Then I remember, the capture, escaping, and the secret hide-away. I feel and arm tighten around my waste. I turn and find Cole, his closed eyes were peaceful looking and his hair was a handsome mess.

I smile and turn to make sure Daniel was still on the couch. But he wasn't. I patted Cole's shoulder trying to wake him up.

"Cole?" I attempt to wake him as my nervousness gets to the best of me.

Still nothing.

I shook his arm but he still wouldn't wake. Sighing I turned over so my body was laying on his and I kiss him.

Cole's eyes flash open and denning to like the situation, he pulled me closer to him. Wanting more kisses but knowing the situation, I pulled away.

"He's gone. Daniel's gone. I don't think he was really helping us. I think he was just leading us into a trap. We need to go." I tell him.

"Ugh ok. Let's leave." Cole rubs his eyes and sits up.

I slip on my boots and pull on a jacket. The October air was getting chilly, and I really don't want to freeze to death after escaping the rebels where we were almost destined to die. I take out a backpack that was on a small hook and fill it with first aid and food.

"Ready?" I ask

"Yep. Darling we need to be safe. If anything happens, I want you to run. I don't know what this feeling is inside me, but I know that I more than like you. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you." 

I smile and kiss him. I pull away before we get to distracted and lead him up the the chute. I find a ladder and climb up.

A cold breeze greets me. I stand up and start running. Suddenly realization hits. My best friends town is only a few minutes away. We use to go running in the woods and playing in the stream. Other than Ireland, my other bestie was Hannah.

I take Cole's hand and guide him into an alley. I press him up to the wall as a car drives by.

"I know this place where I know we can stay."

I lead him through back streets to Hannah's huge house. I knock on the door and Hannah's butler answers.

"Hey Fredrick. Could I speak to Hannah?" I ask

"Yes of course Georgia! Come in. Who is this fellow with you?" He asks

"Oh this is Colton." I say with a smile. Fredrick wouldn't know he was the Prince, he despises tv.

Fredrick smiles and guides us into the parlor. Minutes later, Hannah shows up.

"Georgia! How are you? Why are you here? I thought you were in the selection? The royal family reported you and the Prince went missing. Who is that?" She asks

"I'm fine. We were capture my rebels and ran away. I am in the selection and this is Cole." I say wringing my wrists

"Oh my GOODNESS! The Prince is sitting in my parlor." Hannah almost yells

"Shh! Yes he is. Could we please have a room to sleep in before morning?" I ask

"Wait, you guys sleep together?" She asks eyes widening.

"No. I mean any spare rooms you have. I've only known him for a month and a half." I roll my eyes.

"Could you be discrete about this? I would prefer people not knowing I'm here." Cole says putting a hand on Hannah's lap.

My eyes burned with jealousy as she giggles. Why would he do that? He can't flirt with non selection girls. What on earth was he doing? I crossed my arms.

"I'm going to the first guest bedroom." I say standing up before either of them can say anything.

I turn down the familiar halls and enter my room that I always stayed at when I was younger. It still had my pj's from when I was 11. I laugh as I lay down in the comfy bed drifting off into sleep.

~~~~~~~~

"Which one would you like to stay in?" I hear a high pitch voice giggle.

"I don't mind. Where's you room?" Cole asks

"Oh just down this hall." Hannah flirts

They make their way down to her room and I hop out of bed. I quietly follow them, staying in the shadows. Hannah stops outside of her door and pins Cole against the wall.

I keep watching for Cole to slap her tiny arms off of him, but he never does.

"I feel so sorry you had to go through all the rebels. You must be so brave." She looks up and down his face and her eyes land on his lips.

No.

She leans in and kisses his hard. She wraps her leg around his and combs through his hair with her newly manicured nails. She pulls away and smiles. What happens next is even worse.

He pulls her closer and kisses her back.

I can't finish watching. Tears fall from my eyes as I sprint back to my room. I fall onto the bed and sob myself to sleep.