Chapter Nineteen

I woke up with strong arms around me. I tried to wiggle out of them, but they only tightened.

"Cole." I whisper trying to wake him up. His eyes stay closed and he just yawns.

"What time is it?" He ask

"5:40." I respond and he chuckles.

"We have an early bird here?" He mumbles

"I just don't want anybody finding us and thinking the wrong thing. Nothing happened. Also, what would my maids do if they didn't find me in my bed?" I state matter-o-factly.

"Ok, I guess I'll get up." He stands up and walks toward his dresser where he picks out a suit for today.

"I'll see you at breakfast." I call as I walk out, heading to my room. 

Luckily, my maids weren't here yet. Maybe I can pick out my own outfit for today! I love what Belle gives me but I'd like to have options for once.

I rummage through my closet and set two dresses out. The one on the left was  a sleeveless, sweetheart neckline, pink lace dress that has a diamond belt by the waist and flared out until it hit my knees. The right one was a bright yellow sundress. It has thin straps and kisses the floor. I pair both of the dresses up with accessories and what I think is a wise choice, I pick the pink one.

I leave my hair in its natural state and sprayed on lavender perfume. I pick up April's makeup bag and pull out a black pen. This must be eyeliner. I draw the black pencil across my eye lid and surprisingly, it looks really good. I put on mascara and light pink lipstick and I'm set. Surly Cole will look my way. 

As I enter the dining room, I burn with fury. Abigail was sitting next to Cole twirling her hair and flirting with him. He actually seems interested to whatever she was saying. She leans in to kiss him but he turns his face just in time so she just pecks his cheek.

Bethany walks in wearing a long, demure green dress and sits next to me.

"I've had enough of her." She scowls

"Me too. It's like she's totally changed ever since I wore that dress. She's practically throwing herself on him." I reply

"I know! That used to be my job. Now look at the situation. It's like we switched places!" She cries while signaling to her dress and then to Abigail's. It was true. Abigail is pulling up her skin tight red dress that ends by her upper thigh. It was nothing she would be seen in when the selection was beginning.

"Why is he falling for that crap?" I ask as I see Cole chuckle to one of Abigail's dumb jokes.

"Well he's a teenage boy. Oblivious to the truth and believes whatever any girl tells him." Bethany responds. I nod slowly taking in the truth as breakfast was being sat down.

I quickly finish my food and run to the garden where I could be free. The wind blows past me, making my hair fly everywhere. It stings as the locks hit my face. I stumble to the roses and my legs buckle and I collapse. Tears stream down my face thinking of my life in the Selection.

Everything was a mistake. I shouldn't have signed up for the selection. It shouldn't have affected me so much. He should be hurting me so much by glancing at a different girl. I shouldn't be this weak. I was raised stronger than this. My parents, Ireland, and Jacob would be ashamed of me if they saw me acting in such a manner. I'm ashamed.

"Georgia?" A voice asks. When I look up, it's Queen Eadlyn.

"My Queen, I'm sorry to be seen like this." I say wiping the water from my eyes.

"No sweetie, please its fine. Call me Eadlyn. Let me take you to the parlor. We can chat there." She helps me up and leads me to a bright room.

She brushes my hair out of my face and hands me some tea. "Now please Georgia, what's wrong?"

"Everything." I whimper, "I know that this is stupid but is it right that last night I had a date with Cole and just this morning he was flirting and he even kissed Abigail in front of me and other selected. Bethany and I actually agreed on something because of their actions."

"No. I talked to Cole and I'm making him eliminate two girls tomorrow so he can become more serious in his relationships. As for Abigail, she has changed drastically. I thought I knew her as a sweet girl but her recent chats with me have been very different." Eadlyn says touching her face. Looking closely you can still see that her left side of her face was slightly red. Oh my.

I open my mouth to talk when America walks in. "Eadlyn, Georgia, hello. I was just wondering how you were doing." She says running to her daughter's side.

"What happened?" I ask running to the both of them.

"May, Cole's three year old sister, she hasn't been around because she's very sick. The doctor's don't know if she'll get better. It's some type of fever that's not going away." Eadlyn says swallowing her sobs.

"I'll pray for her." I put my hand on her shoulder to comfort her. My family has always made sure that we had a good knowledge of our Christian heritage. Poor May could possibly never get better, the least I could do for her is pray.

Queen Eadlyn never stopped crying so America and I stayed. I wish that May will get better, for her sake, and the county's.