Saul

It was 1 pm when mr. Amerighi was woken up by a suspicious sound coming from upstairs. He left his snorting wife and, in his pijamas, went upstairs to have a look.

By his daughters doors he stopped and pressed his ear by it to catch a sound that woke him up.

At first there was nothing to be heard. His daugter, Carla went to some concert that evening and took her keys with her, saying that she's going to return late. Mr. Amerighi could tolerate the behaviour of his only child as long as she was a kind, hard-working girl. But the music she was listening to was, by his opinion, a special kind of vandalism and it didn't suit her.

Then, the noise came again. The man froze at the door, realising that there were two voices coming from his daughters room. And at least one of them wasn't hers.

He wasn't able to step forward to have a look af the univited guest, but he leaned further so he was soon able to make out what they were saying.

" Slash," wispered Carla.

" Hm?" the mans voice was somehow distant like he wasn't quite there.

" Do you do this often? Without love?"

" No."

" But I know you do ... I read it in the paper just a couple weeks ago. You're every womans man. No bordello is safe from you. You don't leave nice girls at peace. Some say," she wispered. " That not even their mothers are safe from you."

The man laughed. " It seemes that I have quite a reputation out here. Then tell me, sweetheart, if I'm such a monster, why did you allow me to spoil you?"

" I thought that you're not. I stil do."

" Maybe. But every man gets lonely sometimes." his voice showed no emotions.

" Do you have a bella donna at home, Slash?"

He remained silent for a moment. " What would you do, if I had?"

" I'd say that she's a poor soul and you're not worthy of her."

" And you'd be right, doll."

" So, do you have a regazza? A girl?" she asked again with expectation in her voice.

" I don't. And didn't for a year now."

" No woman in your life?" Carla couldn't help herself. She dived into silent happiness . The last man who showed any interest in her was her biology teacher in high school. She barely shook him off.

" I didn't say that." Slash sounded distant again. " I had this one friend. Then I ran into Patricia in London ... She was great, but it wasn't it."

" So what are you saying?"

" I'll tell you, but only because I'm half drunk anyway..." he trailed off. " I had this one friend, as I told you. She was, I mean is, my first love. No offense, but she isn't the prettiest girl I've met. " he laughed like it was some kind of joke for him. " She's not even the kindest of them all. That's probably you."

" Grazie," Carla felt herself blush.

" No problem. Anyway, I don't know what she is, but I stil miss her."

" So, you want to return to her? Create a family for yourself?"

" That I don't know," he smiled sadly. " Maybe, I wanted to. But then Patricia came and I broke my promise. And I did it again and again, trust me. With Maya, Ann, Magda, Petra, Camile ... I ran into a lot of women on my way, Clara."

" Have you heard from her since?" Clara felt pity for both of them. She read a bunch of stories about star- crossed lovers, but none of them was as real as this one.

" I took her number. I tried to call her so many times, I know it by heart now."

" But you didn't..."

" No. What am I to say to her?"

Clara wrapped herself in sheets and stumbled across the room. Mr. Amerighi who was stil eavesdropping, jumped from the door. But, luckely, Clara wasn't headed to the door. She picked up an old telephone and carried it to bed, trying not step on the wire.

" Here," she pushed the phone onto his lap. " Call her now."

" I told you, I can't." he swept the phone away.

" Oh, but you will." she pushed it into his hands again.

Saul had no chance to regret choosing this girl for a one night stand. He dialed the number. Clara was glaring at him nerviously. She got up to dress up, giving him a thumbs up in support. The phone rang forever. Then, a girls voice picked up.

" Hello."

" Jade?"

" No, Sue."

" Is Jade anywhere nearby?"

" Sorry. Jade went to the hospital, it's her date tonight. Can I pass her the massage?"

" Her date?"

" Are you men all dumb or what? She's giving birth to her little boy today. But you can call her later this week, or as I said I can pass her the message. I'm going to the hospital anyway. I decided to do so, 'cause someone must. Can't leave the poor thing alone. I'll tell her that you called, just tell me the name-"

But Saul already hung up.

Hey, guys! I'm sorry for updating this a little late, but stil, I hope you liked it.