Curtis sister

My leg was bouncing up and down at a ridiculously fast pace. A nervous habit I'd picked up. I played and toyed with my fingers, my palms clammy. Another nervous habit.

Sodapop was sitting beside me an arm over my shoulder trying his best to offer comfort. Normally I would've curled up next to my brother happy that there was a moment of peace and quiet. Except we weren't at peace.

Darry sat in his arm chair, arms crossed and his own leg bouncing as he waited and stared at the telephone. We'd been sitting here for the last hour, hoping and praying that someone would call with news of our brother.

Ponyboy had gotten into trouble with the Socs. Him and Johnny had killed one, now they were on the run. I know, we know that they'd had a reason to kill that Soc but unfortunately not everyone else will.

The phone rang. Sending a scream of pain through my head that I hadn't realized had begun to throb. Within seconds Darry had the receiver in his hands and up to his ear.

"Ponyboy?" He asked anxiously.

Ponyboy didn't realised how much Darry loved him. He thought Darry hated him with every fibre of his being. I'd listen to Pony rant about how Darry didn't like him and was waiting for the chance to throw him in a boys home. He would never believe me when I told him he was wrong.

I looked at Sodapop as Darry waited for a reply. Sodapop had the biggest heart and this whole shit show was breaking it. He tried not to show it. I'll be glad when this is all over so he can go back to being happy and carefree.

"He's at the hospital." Darry said before walking to the front door.

"Hospital?!" Soda and I asked in sync.

"He's okay. There was a fire and he and Johnny saved some kids." Darry was out the door before we could ask anymore questions.

"Would you believe that? Our Ponyboy a hero." Soda smiled, his happy and carefree one.

"I believe it, Johnny too." We followed Darry who was already waiting in his truck.

■■■

God I hate hospitals.

I hate the morbid feeling that is everywhere in the building. I hate the cold white tiles and walls. I hate the sound of heart monitors. They just remind me how little time we all have. I don't understand how people can stand it.

"Ponyboy?" Sodapop's voice interrupted my thoughts. He ran towards Pony and hugged him like he'd never let go.

I stared at them smiling. Sodapop was only just taller than Pony but Soda held him like he was a toddler, scared he might break him. Ponyboy was covered in black soot and was now blonde which Soda commented on but he didn't care for getting his clothes dirty.

I bolted for my brother, dodging Darry to get to him. I jumped up and hugged him.

"Don't do that ever again you idiot." I said digging my head between his shoulder and neck. Before I knew it I was crying. Sobbing into my brothers shoulder because I'd thought I'd lost him. I thought I'd never see him again and if I did it was through prison bars.

"I missed you (y/n)." Ponyboy replied tears escaping his eyes aswell. "I promise I won't leave again."

"Pony." I let go of Pony and stepped back as Darry stepped forward and hugged him so tight I thought he might suffocate the poor boy.

"I thought we lost you like we lost mom and dad." Darry whispered but loud enough for Soda and I to hear it. It just made me cry more.

We all must have looked like a right mess. Sobbing and hugging, one of us filthy as anything. A greaser family showing emotion, who would've thought it?

It felt so weird writing 'mum' as 'mom'

Out of this entire story that's the only thing i have to comment on.

Thank you for reading.