Dallas - Part 1

This is a little rough and I struggled to write the last part but part 2 will hopefully be up tomorrow. Please vote and comment any criticism or requests. 

Requested by alesiacade

The sirens were unbearably loud, screaming the universal warning that someone was hurt. I was slipping in and out of consciousness but the searing pain in my side reminded me that I was the one who was hurt. Being wheeled into the hospital on the squeaking gurney was humiliating as patients and visitors turned to look at the dirty greaser losing blood at an alarming rate from a stab wound. The embarrassment of the moment faded from my mind as I thought of how stupid I was to jump that Soc, of course he had friends around, I was stupid to assume it would've been an easy robbery. Maybe if I hadn't followed Dallas to Tulsa, but my god how couldn't I? Dallas and his cheeky smile was the last thing I saw in my mind as I lost consciousness. 

**

I first met Dallas in New York, we'd both been thrown into a reformatory in a last ditch effort to rid us of our delinquent tendencies. Dallas informed he was being punished for fighting in gangs and I'd filled him in with my reasons for being stuck there.

"You burnt down a building?" He asked his face showing he was impressed by the feat. 

"And held a few tourists at knifepoint." I replied nonchalantly, not throughly impressed by my own actions. The girl who had taught me how to set a building alight and use a switchblade had done a lot worse in a significantly smaller period of time. 

"Why'd you burn it down?" He implored seeming genuinely interested in how I'd managed to pull it off. I shrugged not really having an answer.

"Just felt like it I guess." I responded. When the police had asked the same question I'd spewed a few disgusting insults at them and then proceeded to tell them where they could shove their threat of jail time in a few colourful ways. They'd taken me for an uneducated child, I wasn't stupid, I knew they couldn't throw me in jail. The worse they could do because of my age was enrol me in a reformatory for a few months. 

"I'm Dallas." He grinned holding out a hand. I return his devilish smile and took his hand in a strong grasp.

"Alesia."

"I like you." Dallas had said smirking, "When we get out of here we should stick together." That was the start of a life long friendship. 

**

Dallas had made me the happiest I'd ever been, his smirk gave my stomach butterflies as much as I hated to admit it. Then the day he told me he was leaving New York caused my heart to shatter. He shown up at my parents and my apartment and explained his predicament quickly in a loud whisper.

"I'm in a shit ton of trouble Alesia." 

"What did you do?" I'd asked not quite realising how bad this was.

"It doesn't matter but I'm leaving. I bought a ticket to Tulsa and I don't think I'm coming back." He agonised.

"You're leaving?" I responded panicking. 

"I need to."

"Dallas no." I whispered suddenly aware of my dad walking around the apartment. 

"I just came to say goodbye." He explained. 

"Alesia who was at the door?" Dad's deep voice bellowed from the kitchen.

"No one!" I snapped. 

"Bye Alesia." Dallas said not meeting my eyes as he stepped out of the apartment and disappeared down the stairs.

"I thought I said you couldn't have anyone over!" My shoulder began to throb as my dad pushed me into the wall. 

"I told you it was no one!" I yelled. His cold glare made me regret my response as my blood ran cold. 

"What did you just say to me?" His calm and dangerous tone was terrifying. 

"N-nothing." I mumbled refusing to meet his eyes. 

"Did you just talk back to me?" He seethed stepping towards me. In response I pressed my back against the wall behind me, there was no way-out of this. I couldn't run or hide, even if I could I'd have to come home eventually.

"I think she did." My mother's condescending voice replied for me from behind him. 

"N-n-no I'm sorry." I stuttered tears beginning to stream down my cheeks. My parents cruel laughter filled my ears as I wondered why Dallas couldn't have taken me with him. 

**

A year or two had passed since Dallas had left New York, I'd stopped counting the days after three months. The people who ran the reformatory had hammered me with questions for weeks asking where he'd gone. I didn't answer them, just sat quiet and sulky. 

As I sat in my room one night, bruised and bloody from another beating from my father, I contemplated an idea I'd had since the day Dallas ran off. I considered everything that could go wrong, the pros and cons and what would happen if I managed to pull it off. What would he say? Would he remember me? It hadn't been that long , but knowing Dallas he would've met a number of people in his travels and I might just be some random girl he knew in New York. Would he even still be in Tulsa? Screw it, it's a risk I was willing to take. If he wasn't there it would still be better than here with my parents. 

Deciding at last I set to work, throwing my few possessions into a rucksack, cleaning my cuts, dressing warmly and quietly sneaking into the kitchen of my parents apartment. I searched for my mother's handbag she always left on the kitchen counter. I opened her wallet and only found a few dollars, stuffing them into my pocket I silently walked to the front door, stepped out and closed it for the last time, hopefully. 

A few blocks from the bus station I came across an intoxicated couple. Pulling my switchblade from my back pocket I demanded they give me any money and valuables they had on them. Drunk, they were easily manipulated, clearly alarmed they handed me their wallets and an expensive watch. 

Proud of my loot, I screamed a threat at them and ran towards the bus station. They would be too drunk to remember my face clearly and even if they could I'd be well and truly out of New York by the time they went to the police. I slid a pile of bills towards the station attendant. 

"One seat on your next bus to Tulsa please." I grinned, too tired and unbothered to hide my excitement.