Chapter Thirty Nine

Thea's POV

"What's going on here?"

I quickly sprang away from Parker's grasp and looked into the darkness.

I recognised the voice immediately.

Winslow stepped out of the shadows into the street light. He looked bright and smiley. Either he really enjoyed the peanuts on his hour flight from DC to Boston or something good is going on.

"Thea," he repeated," What's going on?"

"Well. Sir I was packing my stuff to go back to Base. I was going to surprise you there but now...." I began to explain.

"Oh so you decided to leave then." he observed clearly disappointed.

Disappointed? Why is he disappointed? Am I not a good of enough agent anymore?

"Don't get too excited." I scowled sarcastically.

"No no no," he began putting his hands on my shoulders reassuringly,"I'm with you whatever decision you make."

"But you would prefer one over the other." I commented reading his face expertly.

"Well yes. Obviously. But I've had a change of heart." he commented right back at me.

"I see how it is! You don't want to be my watcher anymore. You've got another agent don't you? Who are they? Is that what the meeting was about? Are they better than I am?" I demanded half serious half joking.

My over dramatics earned a stifled laugh from Parker who was still sitting on the edge of the van. Observing.

"Oh T! Calm down! No there is no other agent. You know that! I'd only get another agent if you leave or die. And since your heart is still beating, you know I'm right." he lectured all knowingly.

"You didn't answer my question." I snapped.

"Well you asked a lot of questions in your little rant!" he snapped right back.

"Aren't you going to answer it?" I questioned.

"Which question?" he asked.

"What happened at the meeting then? Since there is no other agent!" I explained rolling my eyes dramatically.

"You know I can't tell you! Well unless you answer my question." he answered and then questioned.

"Which question is that?" I asked slightly confused.

"After giving you a two week deadline. You don't remember the question. Oh Thea. I thought I raised you better! Are you staying here or not?" he teased and then informed.

"What decision let's me know what happened in the emergency meeting?" I asked desperately.

"Can't tell you." he said nonchalantly then he whispered in my ear,"You already know T."

I already know? How do I? I know that if I stay here I'm leaving the Elders pack and will never become an agent! I can't imagine my life not being an agent. But now, I don't want to leave either. I have mistakes to correct and people I'm not prepared to leave.

I made a quick glance at Parker. He had been sitting down and watching. He flashed me a comforting smile.

I turned back around and sighed.

What am I going to do?

"Not to rush you T but your deadline was yesterday!" he informed.

Silence fell onto us.

Either way I was going to have to give up something. My present or my future.

"Sir, I don't want to leave the pack. I still want to be an agent. It's my life but... but I need to stay here for awhile. I'm not ready to say goodbye." I answered honestly but almost shaking with nerves.