Chapter Six

Excitement bubbled inside of me as I reached the school's doors. Today, one of America's most known chefs would come to pay a visit around lunch time. I wanted to look presentable, so I changed my usual ponytail for a messy, curly, up-do. I decided to wear one of my new shirts and my best pair of jeans. I was even wearing makeup.

Exhaling, I pushed the doors. I couldn't act like a groupie. Bryan wouldn't approve, and he was the boss. Still, it was James Olander. The man had several restaurants around the world, a cooking show and many cookbooks that cost a fortune each. And we'll be sharing the same air. It was impossible not to be excited.

"Good morning!" I said loudly before placing my backpack behind the front desk.

"Oh. It's you." A girl's voice said behind me. My smile faded as I turned around to find Tom's girlfriend. To make things worse, she looked as stunning as ever. Ugh. The magazines didn't do her justice. Long beachy waves cascaded down her shoulders complimenting the tight white dress that hugged her perfectly. Could she be more freaking perfect?

I tried not to compare myself to her, but I was so underdressed. "Hi," I said as I held my stomach.

She raised a perfectly plucked eyebrow before staring at her French manicure. "Tom and Bryan are upstairs."

"Thank you." She didn't even look up. It was like talking to a wall.

I couldn't see what Tom saw in her. Okay. I could. She's pretty, but only on the outside. I rather have freckles and faded jeans than be rotten on the inside.

"Hi Jess!" Tom's smile was the first thing I saw after entering the kitchen's lab. "We were just talking about you." I glanced at Bryan leaned on the counter with his arms crossed looking apathetic as always. This guy. "James is coming today but we're swamped with paperwork," Tom gestured to the pile of manila folders next to Bryan, "And my mate here, suggested that you could cook lunch for us."

I had to repeat his words in my head a few times before I got it right. Bryan wants me to cook lunch for three ridiculously talented chefs? This was payback for almost breaking his coffee machine.

My mouth fell open as Tom's grin widened. "Isn't that a great idea?" He kept on going and I closed my mouth, only to open it again to protest, but nothing came out. My heartrate was already in overdrive as he went on, "Remember that you can cook a great meal in under thirty minutes." It was one of his stupid show's motto. I'd always found it funny and charming but right now, it didn't make sense. At all.

Bryan rolled his eyes. "Tom, do you ever try to stop selling your books?" he shook his head before uncrossing his arms. "However, since you're working with us, I think it's the best opportunity for you to show off your cooking."

Right. The same day James Olander comes over for lunch. Because why the freaking hell not?

I clasped my lips together in a tight line.

"There are like 300 dollars here," Tom handed me a Surfas' debit card. I admit it. Surfas was one of the most exclusive gourmet stores in the city. I'd visited it a few times, but every time I did, I'd came out with my hands empty. It's super expensive. Nevertheless, today I wasn't excited. Panicked, worried or freaked out was more like it.

Bryan's smug expression didn't go unnoticed. This whole thing felt like a test. Like in one of those cooking shows in the TV. Awesome. Freaking awesome.

Trying to find the positive side, I didn't have half the nation observing my every movement. I just had to be careful not to screw things up. Or at least be careful so no one notices if I do.

You can do it Jess. I mean, lunch is the simplest meal of the day, right? I took a deep breath and braced myself for this test. I smiled confidently to Tom and took the card in my right hand ─ignoring Bryan's scrutinizing stare. "How much time do I have to prep?" I was totally bluffing. I hoped they didn't notice that I was just repeating the same terms Tom used in his cooking shows.