Chapter Twelve

Chapter's song: Can't sleep love. (Freaking love this song!)

I couldn't sleep. I washed my clothes and my uniform coat. It was the most awkward and embarrassing situation ever. I was pretty much naked ─only covered by Bryan's t-shirt─ washing and drying all my clothes, quite aware that I was naked at my boss' house. My only consolation was that at least I had a fresh pair of clothes to use in the morning.

On my way back to my room, I stopped to observe the framed photos on the wall. I'd missed them when Bryan walked me through. There weren't many but he looked younger, maybe in his teens. A couple hugged him, only that they didn't look alike. He had brown hair and sea-blue eyes, while they both were blond with brown eyes. There was no resemblance whatsoever. Not even the squared shape of his face or the straight nose. Plus, they seemed older, more like his grandparents, to be honest. However, he was smiling that lopsided, playful smile that showed up only in special occasions.

While I laid in bed, I stared at the ceiling, thinking about that teen Bryan and the men I was starting to know. I had no idea how he'd became the guy that he is right now, but I could see that he was passionate, kind and reserved at the same time. It was so intriguing, and unnerving at the same time. To make things worse, his t-shirt had a faint smell of cologne. I closed my eyes, trying to ignore the way it made my stomach flip, and after tossing around in bed, I finally fell asleep.

The next morning, I took a quick shower and started to get dressed. I stared at the other t-shirt he gave me as I was about to put on mine. I knew how it could look. That I slept somewhere other than my house and knowing myself, I'd tell Monica about it, which could be like announcing it to the whole group. Sighing, I folded my shirt and put on his.

I left the room and as soon as I opened the door, the bitter scent of coffee assaulted me. The thumps of my heart started to race as I made my way to the kitchen. I passed the pool and exhaled slowly, trying hide how nervous I felt in front of him.

The sound of pots and the smell led the way. "Good morning," I tucked my hands on my front pockets as I entered the room. Bryan's hair was still wet from his morning shower and he looked like he hadn't shaved yet. Damn. It suited him.

He turned to me and his mouth parted as he his eyes landed on me. The Adam's apple on his throat bobbed as he swallowed hard. He stayed still for a moment, before he looked away, clearing his throat. "Hi."

I bit my lip. "Can I help you?"

He walked to the fridge. "I'm making cheese omelets. Is that okay?"

"Of course."

He glanced at me for a moment. "I got it. You should get your things and maybe put on your uniform coat since we'll be leaving soon."

"Okay," I went back to my room to get my backpack.

When I came back, my omelet was served next to a steamy cup of coffee. "Thank you."

Bryan was reading something on his tablet. "Yeah." He didn't look up, and his plate was half-finished beside him.

The air felt thick as I sat on the stool in front of the counter and started to eat. The omelet was delicious. Right before I downed my coffee, he got up and took my plate away.

"I'll see you at by the car in ten? Do you need a toothbrush or something?" He shook his head. "I should have asked that yesterday."

"I always have one in my backpack to brush my teeth after lunch."

He nodded. His eyes seemed darker as he looked at me and my stomach churned as I licked my lips. Bryan turned away and before I could thank him, he was gone.