Chapter Eighteen

Chapter's song: Sound of your heart by Shawn Hook. I so love that song!

A smug smile formed on my face as Bryan pulled up in In-N-Out. "What?" he grinned as he read the menu, "Is junk food forbidden to chefs?"

I shrugged. "Yes."

Bryan cracked up. "Well, your feet hurt. You're tired and hungry," he raised an eyebrow, "Tell me, do you feel like cooking right now?"

I pressed my lips together. He had a point. Damn it. Was he ever wrong?

Grabbing my backpack, I'd started to search for my wallet. "I'd like a cheeseburger and an iced tea, please." He was probably smirking as he ordered the food in the microphone.

"I got it." His tone was serious.

Taking out the money from my wallet, I looked up at him. "No. I'll get it. It's the least I can do if you're driving me home."

For the first time since I'd met him, he rolled his eyes as his hand reached out for the bills. My lips quirked up. This was so weird. "Thank you." He got the money and placed it on his knee.

"Don't mention it," I mumbled as I gazed outside.

After paying for the food, the car filled with the glorious scent of junk food. My stomach started to churn and my mouth salivated at the smell. I had no idea how hungry I really was.

Ten minutes later, the car stopped on a red light. "My house is just around the corner. Do you want to stop for dinner there?" Bryan wasn't looking at me; his eyes were trained on the traffic light as he spoke, "Or do you want me to drive you home instead?"

I chewed on my lip as I thought it through. A part of me was exhausted, but another part of me wanted to spend more time with him.

Whenever we stayed late, he would show me a new side of him. And as pathetic as it sounded, I liked this Bryan much better than the douchebag from the classroom.

"I'm really hungry," I blurted out somewhat breathless, not really looking at him.

"Me too."

Why on earth does he make me feel so awkward?

Before I could start freaking out about it, the car parked in front of his house. My stomach was squirming and twisting. I wasn't sure if it was because I was hungry or because I was nervous. Probably the latter. Bryan left his side, grabbing the paper bag and I got the drinks.

It didn't matter that this was the second time I was in his house, it was impressive as hell. My house would probably fit in the same space the pool was. I followed Bryan to the kitchen, but immersing my feet in the warm water would have felt like heaven.

Bryan took out two plates. He had a beer in his hand as he glanced at me. A soft smile curved up his lips as he bobbed his head to the right. "Let's eat outside."

He pulled open a glass paneled door that gave way to the patio outside. Fresh air nipped my skin on my way out. The stars were shining brightly across the dark-pitch sky as I settled on my side of the table. Bryan set the hamburger in front of me and my stomach grumbled.

"Thank you," I said as I peeled off the wrapper and took a bite. It was absolute bliss. I closed my eyes for a second enjoying the delicious taste of the bacon mixed with cheese.

Bryan's dark chuckle made me look up. "Fast food seems like gourmet right now, doesn't it?"

Swallowing, I dabbed my mouth with a small paper napkin. "It's kind of annoying how you seem to be right all the time." My eyes widened as the words left my mouth. Shit. Where did that come from? He's my boss, after all.