Chapter Sixteen

Chapter's song: Perfect by One Direction

Monday rolled in without major accident. Other than Perry, one of our classmates, who got a really nasty burn and Tom had to take him to the hospital. We were making soufflés. Which is like the hardest thing ever. I tried it out twice and the damn thing sank both times.

Only three of our classmates achieved it. Bryan congratulated them and they all looked smugly by the end of the day.

After the classroom cleared up, I stepped towards Bryan's office. I knew Juno would grill me to no end if I didn't at least try to ask him for dinner. I was unbuttoning my coat when I reached his door. It was open but I still knocked on the door.

"Yes?" he was reading a document as I walked in. "I thought you were home by now," he said as he looked up.

"I was finishing up at the office." He nodded. I bit my lip as my stomach churned. "Juno wanted me to ask you if you would like to come over for dinner Friday night."

He placed the paper back on the desk and leant on the backrest of his chair. "Really? That's nice of her."

I shrugged. "She wants to thank you for," I lowered my voice tone in case there was someone around, "Giving me shelter the other night."

Bryan's unique eyes fixed on mine. His lips parted as we gazed at each other for a moment. My heart fluttered. He looked away. "I'd love to."

I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. "Great!" my voice came out high-pitched and I grimaced. "Okay. Good night, then."

"Wait." He crossed his arms. "I wanted to ask you if there might be a problem if I changed your restaurant schedule."

Puzzled, I tilted my head. "No. Why?"

His lips set in a straight line as he started to arrange the papers on his desk. "I just don't think it's wise to make a couple work together. The kitchen can be a stressing place and if you fight or something," he shook his head, "Things can get messy."

I creased my brows, confused by his words. "What couple?"

"Andrew and you." He stopped fussing about and glanced at me.

I would have laughed, but his whole face was dead serious. "We're not a couple."

"Really? Does he know that?" He raised an eyebrow. "Because he's been bragging about you all day long."

Peeved, I took a deep breath. "We're not."

Bryan studied me for a moment. "I'd still prefer to change you."

A pang of disappointment played in my chest. I was really looking forward to the Japanese restaurant. Ugh. Andrew will be hearing from me. "If you think that's for the best, then so be it, chef."

"I do."

"Okay," I gnawed on my lip again, glaring at the floor.

"Good night, Jess."

Sighing, I rubbed an eyebrow before looking up. Bryan's gaze was intense. It made my heart skip a beat. "Good night, Chef," I said, frowning to myself.

"Wait." His voice made me stop. I glanced at him. "Your soufflé sank."

I grimaced. "Twice."

"Let's try it again." He stood up.

My breath caught in my chest. "Right now?"

"Why not?"

I wasn't sure if it was good for me to be around him. He made me feel things. Things I shouldn't be feeling.