Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter's song: All my friends by Snakeships

I woke up at dawn to finish my suitcase. I put on a sweatshirt and looked around my room going through my mental list, checking things off. Sunblock, check. Pajamas, check. Two more hoodies, check. Toothbrush, check.

"Come on Jess, you've got everything!" my little brother groaned from the door. He was walking with me to school since I had many things to carry and just one hand. Ignoring him, I glanced to my closet. I had a feeling I was missing something; I couldn't remember what. "Let's go. I want to get back to bed," he whined like a little boy.

Rolling my eyes, I glared at him. "It's not that early," I muttered as I passed next to him. To be honest, it was. It was almost 5 am. We were going to meet up in half an hour because we were to take a bus that would drive us for about three hours. I'd never admit that to him. I was his big sister, after all. And that required to annoy him as best as I could. He groaned through the rest of the way, so I figured I was doing a tremendous job.

When we got to the building, I could see Bryan's red Jeep parked behind a large bus. There were no classmates yet. They were to arrive in a few moments, though. We crossed through the door just as Bryan was talking with the bus driver. He glanced at us.

"I'm out," my brother's tone was wary as he dropped my suitcase on the floor. I stared at him confused. "I don't want to see you with him," he muttered softly, so no one else could hear us. "I already have this stupid image in my mind since yesterday." I burst out laughing at that. His cheeks blushed as he looked to the floor.

"Hi guys, how are you?" Bryan's voice sounded beside me. My laugh subsided as I gazed at him. He had a baseball cap on and a dark blue Henley shirt. The casual look made him seem younger.

Seth patted me on the shoulder. "Have fun, Jess!" I smiled at the fact that he really wanted to get out of here. Bryan picked up my suitcase and started walking to his office after bump-fisting with my brother. I looked after my little brother before taking a deep breath and stepping to Bryan's office.

"Hey," his tone was husky as I reached his door. He'd left the luggage next to his own. His eyes were intense as he took a step closer to me. My heart was drumming inside my ribcage as he leaned closer and kissed me softly. "Are you ready for camp?" his smile was breathtaking as he pulled apart.

I pursed my lips before raising my hand. "I'm going to miss so many things..." I said softly as he placed a hand on my waist, pulling me closer to him. He took off his cap and let it fall on the desk.

His eyes were darker as he grinned. "I promise I won't treat you differently." I snorted. He'd been leaning closer again but he stopped abruptly at my snort. Pulling apart, he tilted his head, narrowing his eyes. "I'm pretty sure I've never treated you different."

I cracked up. "You do! You always make me work twice!" I crossed my arms.

His lips twitched as he suppressed a smile. "That's because you're learning twice as much as everyone else, Jess." It was my turn to narrow my eyes. His lips curved up before leaning in and kissing the tip of my nose.

I totally swooned at the sweet gesture.

Different noises were heard from below. We pulled apart completely. He put on his cap and winked at me before walking downstairs to see who had arrived. My heart was racing like crazy as he disappeared out of sight. I wasn't sure how to feel about this side of him. I mean, I loved how confident and teasing he acted around me, but it was quite obtuse to see him so different whenever everyone was around.

Chill out Jessie. Don't overthink.

I took a deep breath, no matter what would happen in camp, I was surely going to be seeing Bryan for three whole days and that was something to look forward to.

I finished setting a few papers we needed for the trip before stepping down the stairs. A smile drew on my face when I saw Monica standing next to Rosa, a Puerto Rican. They were chatting animatedly in Spanish when I reached her. "Hi Jess!" Monica beamed at me before her friend left to greet someone else.

In no time, our side of the street was filled with prattling from the rest of our classmates. Almost everyone seemed excited at camping. There were the few odd ones that looked out of place and were silent and sulking with themselves.

Tom's laughter resounded across the crowd of people just as Andy reached our little group. I smiled at our friend as I gazed behind him. Tom and Bryan were talking animatedly. They were so different. It still surprised me that they were good friends.

"You should close your mouth, Jessie." I glanced at Andrew. He had a big-ass smirk playing on his face.

I rolled my eyes. "I'm not staring." I think. At least not so obviously. I think.

Monica shoved me playfully. "Has anything happened?" Her dark eyes glinted mischievously.

"No." I couldn't look at them. I'd always been bad at lying.

Andy's chuckle made me turn my eyes at him. "You suck, Jess. Are you two doing the naughty?"

My cheeks felt hot as I blushed like crazy. "We have not!" Monica squealed beside me, pulling me closer to her.

"Have you two kissed?" she asked excitedly, but in a tone only meant to be heard by us.

I glared at them. Andy was still smirking and Monica's grin was wide as hell. "There's nothing going on." I crossed my arms.

Monica gushed excitedly, grabbing my arm. "How did it happen?"

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I took a deep breath. "Monica."

"You suck at lying, Jess." Andy's eyes sparkled excitedly. "Besides," he leaned closer to me, "Your lover boy is coming this way."

My eyes widened and I turned around. Andy chuckled. Bryan was actually coming our way. He stopped at our little group, but his playful smile was completely lost. "Guys, hop on the bus." He glanced at me. "Jess, would you mind sitting next to me? There are a few things I'd like to discuss."

"Of course," I stuttered trying really hard not to blush. He bobbed his head and walked away to announce to the rest of the crew that we were leaving.

I closed one eye while I turned to my friends. Monica had both palms on her hips and was raising and eyebrow. Andy smiled.

Shrugging, I gave them a small, shy grin before walking away.

"You are sharing details tonight!" Monica said behind me. I scrunched up my nose. I'll never hear the end of it.

 I'll never hear the end of it

Small chapter. I know. Sorry? 

Love you guys!