Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter's song: I see Fire by Ed Sheeran

The night was restless once more. I couldn't stop thinking about Bryan, seeing those unique eyes on me or the way he pulled me to him. It all seemed surreal, like it was a figment of my imagination. It wasn't. I was very real.

I didn't want to put a label to it, but at the same time, I hated to feel so uncertain about everything. After tossing and turning around in bed, I decided to go downstairs and make me a cup of tea.

Tiptoeing through the house, I tried not to wake anyone. Yet, I almost trip down the stairs as I tried to jump two steps at a time without shoes. As I felt myself slipping away, I grabbed myself to the rail, preventing an awful fall. Glad to have made it in one piece, I made my way to the kitchen. My feet froze at the door. I rolled my eyes at the sight of my brother's bum peeking out of the fridge.

"What are you doing, Seth?" I crossed my arms, suppressing a smile when he jumped back scared.

"Damn it, Jess! You scared the crap out of me!" He placed a hand on his chest making me crack up completely.

I ignored his glare. "Why are you up?" I padded through the kitchen to get my mug as he went back to the fridge to get something out to eat.

"I'm hungry," his voice came out muffled since he was already chewing whatever he'd found. His head popped out of it just after he put a big chunk of something dark inside his mouth.

I narrowed my eyes at him. "Are there brownies?" I tilted my head trying to get a better view at the inside of the fridge.

"Not anymore!" he patted his stomach while closing the door. Little crumbles spitting out of his mouth as he talked.

I shook my head. "You're so gross, Seth."

He shrugged before plopping down in one of the chairs. After swallowing the last chocolaty treat, he signaled at my mug, "Can you make one for me too?"

I rolled my eyes again, but complied anyway. I took out another mug and poured hot water in both. Taking out chamomile tea from the counter, I placed one bag in each one before slowly taking them to the kitchen table.

"What's eating you?" Seth asked before taking a sip of his tea and jumping back because he'd just burn his tongue. I tried not to chuckle at that, without much success. I had to cover my mouth with my right palm trying not to wake Juno up with my giggles. Seth glared at me while I managed to sober up.

"That's what you get for eating all the brownies!" I teased him as he blew on his tea.

He placed the mug back on the table. "Seriously, what's worrying you?"

My grin completely faded at that. I shrugged. "I don't know. Everything, I guess." I didn't want to talk about Bryan with my brother.

"Is it because of Bryan?" He pressed on.

I pursed my lips. "I shouldn't think much about it, you know?"

Seth's gaze was soft as he nodded. "Then don't."

"I'm trying not to," I muttered before blowing over my tea and taking a sip. "What about you? How was your date?" It was his time to squirm around. I smiled at that. My little brother was growing up so fast.

I could clearly remember those times when he begged me to play soccer with him and then do a tantrum when he couldn't catch up with me. We stopped playing when our roles reversed. I understood how frustrated he'd been all those times, not being able to get the ball for more than ten seconds.

"It was okay. I took Amy out for a movie and then we got coffee." He blushed and my heart warmed for him. "But seriously, dating is too darn expensive!"