Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter's song: Spirits by the Strumbellas

The moments our lips touched, I was completely stunned. For a fraction of a second, my eyes were wide as I repeated inside my head: Holy shit! Bryan is kissing me! Bryan is kissing me!

Then, my mind went completely numb as I literally melted into the kiss. It was sweet, soft and tender and oh so amazing. When he pulled away, his eyes seemed darker. They roamed all over my face once more and his lips curved up in a small smile.

"Good night, Jessie," his tone was deeper than usual. My heart was thumping so loud that I thought it might burst out of my chest at any second. I couldn't utter a sound. I just bit my lip relishing on the way my lips were burning from his kiss.

Smiling, he hopped on his car and started it before his eyes were on me, secretly telling me to go back home. A shaky breath left my lips before I stepped towards my front door. Only turning around when I heard his car's engine roar to life. As he drove away, I touched my lips.

Bryan kissed me.

I smiled as a warm feeling washed through me. I couldn't think of anything else. I kept replaying it on my head, over and over. It was awesome. Gentle, soft, full of warm feelings.

It was my best kiss ever.

I couldn't sleep that night. I touched my lips and smiled like a moron and thought about Bryan, playing in my mind how his gaze was smoldering as he leaned closer to kiss me. My stomach was in knots, especially after midnight, when I though: now what?

I had no idea what this was. If there was a this to begin with. Bryan was my boss, and even though we were both adults, it felt somewhat illegal to date your boss. Ugh. Andrew was right. I'm such a two-goody shoes.

One thing was for sure, I wanted to kiss him again. And again. And then some more.

And whatever this was, I didn't really care. This felt amazing.

Sun rays streamed through my window when my eyes fluttered open. I'd barely slept two hours at most. I kept tossing and turning all through the night. And the stupid fluttering in my stomach was making me feel queasy and sort of sick.

Trying not to freak out that it was nothing but a good night kiss, I rubbed a hand across my face, and stumbled around the room gathering my things to get ready for the morning.

When I crossed the hall to the bathroom, Seth was already in it. Juno's voice was heard all the way from the kitchen to the hall upstairs. She was singing loudly a Beatles song. With a small smile on my face, I shook my head before going through her room to use her bathroom.

My eyes widened as I stared at my reflection. I looked like crap. My long hair was all over the place and I had dark circles under my eyes. My first thought was that I couldn't let Bryan see me like this. I rolled my eyes. I was not changing who I was for him.

One quick shower later, I put on some makeup to conceal the dark circles. Even some blush. I fixed my hair in a fishtail loose braid and finished my look with dark skinny jeans and a white patterned blouse. By the time I'd finished getting ready, Juno had stopped singing. Thank God. I really loved her but she couldn't sing for the life of her.

I trotted down the stairs in time to see Seth being grilled by Juno. "How was your date, Seth?" her tone was friendly but her eyes weren't. I figured he was home later than usual. I stepped inside the kitchen carefully, trying not to make much noise.

My little brother scrunched his nose at Juno. "I'm sorry. I kind of lost track of time," he trailed vaguely trying not to look too much at our grandmother. Her eyes narrowed as she glared at him.