Chapter Fourteen

Chapter's song: Photograph by Sam Tsui & KHS cover. (This is seriously cool. Don't skip this.)

Andrew was kidding. Thank God. I was worried as we took the bus, but the bar looked normal. The tables and booths were crowded and the sound of laughter and background music filled the place. There was a small stage on the back, and I noticed that on the tables next to it were mostly girls.

Andrew found us a free spot at the counter bar. He bump-fisted the barman after taking a seat. "What do you want?"

"A beer is fine." My eyes roamed all around the place. People were mingling and soft rock music was playing on the background.

A bottle was placed in my hand. "You don't go out too much, do you?"

"Define much." I grabbed the bottle, it was slippery from the condensation, and took a gulp. I cringed at the bitter taste. I wasn't really keen on beer, to be honest. Yet it was the least expensive drink.

Andy laughed at me. "You just answered my question, sweetie."

My eyes narrowed. "I don't like endearments, Andrew."

He gazed behind me. "Too bad. I don't give a shit. Sweetie." His mouth curved up in a smirk. I rolled my eyes. "Although, I'm sure that if I was chef Bryan, you would think otherwise..."

His words stunned me into silence. I shifted in my seat. "Why would you say that?" I asked warily as I touched my throat.

His whole demeanor seemed casual but his eyes were sharp as he glanced at me. He tipped his bottle to me. "You couldn't keep your eyes off him today."

I huffed. "That's so not true." But my whole face felt in flames.

I couldn't be that obvious! Maybe that's why Bryan stayed away from me all day long.

Andrew laughed loudly. "I think this goes both ways!" He winked.

Scratching the back of my neck, I turned away from him. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Well, probably because you didn't notice the way chef Bryan stared at you all the time."

"I'm his student, he's checking what I do, just like he supervises anyone else."

"Right." He sounded so skeptical that it made me wonder if what he said was true.

Thankfully, his friend showed up on stage. He was holding a guitar on his hands as he sat down in the middle. The girls started to gush and I smiled at how excited they looked.

The guy seemed overwhelmed at the attention. He seemed to be around his twenties. Brown hair, light brown eyes. Simple outfit. Cute enough.

Then he started to sing.

Holy crap. He was good. I gaped at him and Andy nudged me with his elbow. "He's good, isn't he?"

"Insanely good!"

He smiled at me. "I knew you'd like him. The guy is like a chick magnet." We stayed at the bar for a while, listening to his friend's covers, singing with the crowd. It was pretty amazing.

We left after midnight. We were both hungry and as we walked through the streets, we found a small burger stand. I got a cheeseburger and fries, and we found a nice spot in a park nearby.

"So, do you admit that you like chef Bryan?" Andy teased me as I was about to take a bite on my burger.

I glared at him and threw a fry his way. "I don't!"

"Truth be told, I'm somewhat jealous," he examined his burger carefully, before glancing at me.

"Says the guy who has no problem in finding someone to have fun with." I raised an eyebrow.