Chapter Ten part Two

By the end of the week, we'd gone through the basics, like making roux ─basically, a flour and butter mixture with an elegant name─ that serves as a thickener for sauces, a bouquet garni ─fresh spices wrapped in a cloth─ and a bunch of other cool names that were hard to remember. We'd seen, smelled, and tasted a variety of things. A few of them were unknown to me, but all in all, it was so much fun. However, Bryan had slaved me to no end. Like, in a seriously unhealthy way.

On Friday night, I was ready to go home and do nothing. Being a couch potato for the whole weekend sounded like a plan. I wanted to watch TV and order a pizza and just relax. I found it hilarious that I'd been in culinary school for the last week and the last thing I wanted was to cook.

My feet ached as I finished cleaning my kitchen station, when both Bryan and Tom walked in. Tom stood straight and Bryan crossed his arms. He didn't have to tell us to be quiet, they both had the presence to keep everyone on their toes. Especially Bryan. Nobody wanted to piss him off. Only I, without even trying, seemed to achieve that from time to time.

"This was your first week. Let me tell you that if you're tired, this might not be for you. This was the easiest week, and it isn't finished. You're also required to come on Saturdays as well." There was a general groan, which made Bryan narrow his eyes. "I might as well remind you that you've been chosen to participate in this program for your own benefit and that out of over two hundred applicants, you managed to land a place. And you have a chance to change your life for the better. No one said it was going to be easy." Everyone went quiet. "There are nineteen of you. I expect to graduate you all. And when you do, you'll have the experience and the knowledge that takes more than a year to acquire." His eyes were stern as he gazed at us, "Don't screw this up." He nodded at Tom and took a step back.

"Okay guys," Tom's tone of voice was much more casual, "we're excited to let you all know that you'll be making practices in different restaurants, starting next week. We've partnered with a few local chefs who will let you work with them in their restaurants, so we'll be assigning them on Monday."

Wow. My chest felt light as my lips tugged up. I'll be working in a restaurant! I'll be freaking working in a restaurant!

Bryan cut in, "It's for only three days per week. For now." He raised an eyebrow. "And, we're going camping for a weekend. We'll let you know the date over the next few weeks."

Tom clapped his hands once. "Okay guys, this is it, we'll see you tomorrow!" Feet shuffled as everyone started to mingle and chat.

I found Monica with Andrew. "It's Friday night! Let's go out and have some fun!" Andy said with that playful smile that I was getting used to see on him.

Monica grinned at me as I sat on the stool next to her. "I'm tired, and I want to spend a quiet night with Marcos. My mom has been complaining that she's babysitting too much." She rolled her eyes before sighing. She looked as exhausted as me. "You'll have to meet him soon, Jessie."

"Of course. I'd love to." I glanced at Andrew. "But I'm with Monica. I just want to watch The Walking Dead or something."

Andy sighed dejectedly. "You're both so boring."

Monica smiled and slapped him playfully on the shoulder. "I'm sure you'll find someone to have fun with."

A sly smile played on his lips. "I sure will." Monica rolled her eyes and I chuckled.

We said goodbye and I dragged myself to the office. I still needed to file a few things before going home. My phone started to ring. Seth's face appeared on screen. "What's up?" I placed the phone between my shoulder, pressed to my ear so I could finish faster.

"I just wanted to give you a heads up, the butcher is home and by the look of it, he's staying the night." Oh no. I slumped my shoulders as I sat on the desk. The image of Mr. Gomez half-naked played in my mind again. "I'm crashing at Nathan's, so I'll see you tomorrow," he sounded relieved to have a place to crash.

Groaning, I dropped the file on the desk. "Okay. Thank you for letting me know. And Seth, don't do anything stupid, please."

"Yes, yes," he said condescendingly before we hung up. Sighing, I took off my uniforms' coat and sat on the floor.

I had nowhere to go. My one and only friend was Monica, and we hadn't even exchanged phone numbers. Plus, I didn't want to impose with her baby and all that.

My eyes roamed around the cramped room. I could sleep here. There was space enough to lay on the floor. A long exhale left my lips. I couldn't believe that I was considering to stay here, but I didn't have a choice.

"Are you finished?" Bryan asked while he put on a black jacket. His brows furrowed as he saw me on the floor. "What are you doing there?"

I mulled my options. It was either be pathetic and ask for his permission to crash here or go back home and... okay. No. I really had no choice. Anything was better than going home.

Feeling nauseated I glanced at him. "Uhmm...would you mind if I stay the night here?" I cringed as the words left my mouth.

He blinked at me for a moment. "You want to stay here?" I swallowed hard as I nodded. "Why?" He pursed his lips.

Sighing, I looked at the floor. "Juno has a date and last week I had an unpleasant encounter when her date stayed over." I grimaced as Mr. Gomez popped in my head again. "Trust me. I can't be there, for my own sanity. And I have to be back here tomorrow, so..."

Silence reigned for a good three minutes before he run a hand through his hair. "I'm sorry, but I can't let you stay here." Great. I nodded softly. It was a long shot. "Come on, let's go," he sounded determined as I stared at him as if he'd gone crazy. He crossed his arms. "You can't stay here and you're about to pass on the floor. Let's go."

"Where?"

A trace of a smirk flashed through his face. "I happen to have an extra bed." He walked away after turning off the light. My mouth was completely open as I followed him with my eyes. Was he for real? "Move along, Jessica!" He was already half way through the stairs by now.

Biting my lip, I grabbed my things and closed the door after me.

Anything was better than home, right?