Chapter Twenty-Eight

Chapter's song: Dangerous woman by Ariana Grande

I checked the weather forecast to plan my clothes for camp. It was supposed to be sunny, so I made sure to pack clothes that would keep me fresh. I did it with one hand, meaning that it took me ages to finish. Tired and completely moody for having hurt my hand right before camp, I stepped down the stairs to where my family was. Juno and Seth finished preparing dinner and were now playing cards waiting for me to join them.

Juno looked up as I crossed through the door. "Are you all set?" her eyes crinkled on the corners and her lips tugged up.

Nodding, I plopped onto the chair next to her. "I can't believe that I won't be able to fish," I sulked to myself as Seth put the cards away, finishing the game at once. He was probably losing because he was eager to get it done. "Sorry for taking so long," I said as I narrowed my eyes at him.

Juno's chair creaked as she pushed it back. "Don't worry. I've been enjoying myself." She winked at me with a smug smile before standing up. "Seth on the other hand, is a sore loser."

I glanced at Seth. His lips were pressed together as he gathered the cards in his hands. "You lost?" his eyes looked up, not amused at all.

"I broke him like a small pea pod," Juno said behind me. Her tone of voice was amused. Seth and I shared a look. A pea pod? "Anyway," she continued like she was making sense, "I'm sure you're going to have so much fun, Jess! I even got you something!" I glanced at her as she stirred the casserole. "Come on Seth, help me serve."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. "I can help, Juno." I was tired of people treating me like I couldn't do anything.

"Very well," her gray head bobbed as she placed the lid on the cooking dish. "You help me serve while I go get your present." She looked at my little brother. "You're in charge of cleaning up the kitchen, okay?"

Seth groaned and slumped on his seat, but we all knew it was all for show. He didn't really mind helping around the house.

Smiling to myself, I went to check the sloppy joe's sauce. "How much did you lose?" I grabbed a spoon and blew off the steam before I tasted it. It was spicy and homey. One of my favorite meals.

"I have to do the laundry for a month," Seth grumbled. I glanced at him. He'd crossed his arms and was rolling his eyes. If there was anything that Seth disliked, it was doing laundry. He had no problem with chores, but folding clothes was his doom.

A small chuckle left my lips. He glared at me. "Sorry. I'd help you if I could."

"Whatever," he muttered.

I smiled at him before starting to serve our food. When I finished setting all the plates on the table, he'd uncrossed his arms, looking more at ease.

Juno's whistling was heard on the living room. It sounded louder as she approached us. Her grin was wide as she placed a couple of neon packages on the middle of the table. Silence reigned on the room as my brother and I stared at them.

"Is that—" Seth started, reaching out to grab one.

Juno looked at me. "Condoms? Yes. They are."

I leaned on my left elbow, rubbing a palm across my face. When your grandmother tells you that she got you something for camp, you think she might get you sunscreen or mosquito repellent. I don't know, something more camping-like.

"They're strawberry scented," she added before pulling out her chair and taking a seat. Seth's snicker sounded on the background.

I tried not to groan. Taking a deep breath, I stared at my grandmother. "Why would I need condoms?"