Chapter 3

ZACH

It is so awkward everytime I kiss Hannah in front of Mr. Stine.

He's my neighbor, my soon-to-be uncle, my soon-to-be father-in-law, my life saver from the snowman, and my English teacher.

It's like having...you know...in front of a working CCTV camera.

I opened the door of our house and ran straight up to my room.

"Hannah's a wonderful girl."I stopped on the third step of the stairs to look back at my mother, who was reading the newspaper in the living room.

"You think so?"I asked. She removed her reading glasses, looked me in the eye, and smiled.

"I know so."

I awkwardly smiled and turned to run back up. "Oh, and sweetheart?"Mom called out. "Yeah?"

She murmured something I couldn't hear. I leaned in closer, but she was finished.

So I ran up to my room.

...

Math...math...math...

Wait...what's the difference of polynomials and trinomials again? Oh right...

What the hell are the laws of exponents?!

I can't spend so much time in Math because I also gotta do Science. Moving on.

2 1/2 minutes later...

I was literally banging my forehead on my desk. This is hopeless. I won't finish my homework.

I can't call Hannah!

I bet that she's suffering too.

Then a pebble hit my window. I ignired it for a while, then I heard a very familiar voice hissing my name.

"Zach! Zach! Zach!"

Hannah leaned out her window, wearing her hoodie and that same smile that made me like her in the first place.

I opened my window. "You didn't call."She said. "I can't do my homework."I admitted. She chuckled. "I can't do mine either. Hold on, I'm coming over."I frowned. "It's late."

"Seriously Zach?"She brushed her hair with her hand to one side. Gosh, she looks so beautiful when she has her hair down.

"It's just 7 pm, doofus."

I checked my clock. 7:08 pm.

"Okay."I said. I watched Hannah run to our front yard and knock on the door. "Zach!"Mom called from downstairs. I ran down to see Hannah in her sleeping clothes: a pair of shorts and a hoodie a whole lot bigger than her. Her dark hair sideswept.

She's so beautiful.

"Ms. Cooper...I was just wondering if Zach and I can actually study together for tonight."Hannah started. She carried her books on both arms.

I offered to carry the books. My mom turne and giggled. "Mom, we'll be in my room."I rolled my eyes as mom excitedly jumped up and down.

Hannah looked around. "It's pretty."She said as we climbed the stairs. "Really?"I asked.

She kept quiet until we reached my room. Then she kissed me lightly.

I wrapped my arms around her waist and pulled her closer, but she pulled away.

"Come on. We have tons of school work to do."

...

1 1/4 hours later...

"Hey! We did it! Aren't you happy?"

Finally, we finished it all! I had no idea that being homeschooled makes you a lot smarter since you can really focus on studying.

We both stared into each other's eyes for a while, her face just a few centimeters away from mine.

I can hear and feel her breathing from here. I just wanna kiss her so badly and make out.

But we heard a voice scream from the Stine residence, followed by a sudden flicker of lights and a power cut, then an evil childish laugh.

Followed by a sudden scream downstairs.

It must be Mr. Stine and mom...or possibly Mr. Stine, mom, and Aunt Lorraine. I can't tell which voice belongs to who.

I looked at Hannah, and I knew she was already thinking what I was thinking.

"You thinking what I'm thinking?"Hannah asked. "I guess." "On three. 1, 2-"

"YOU JUST MADE SLAPPY UNHAPPY!"