Chapter 9

R. L. STINE

Good...they're just sleeping and cuddling at the same time. I peeked at Zach and Hannah's room. I was so curious and worried. Who could blame me?

"Good afternoon, Mr. Stine."Zach murmured. I jumped in surprise. His eyes were still closed, his arms wrapped around Hannah's waist. "Stop being so creepy kid!"

"Oh so I'm the creepy one? Who sneaks up on a sleeping couple?"He asked. He opened his eyes. He kept his voice low for Hannah not to be awakened by it.

"So it's official now huh?"I chuckled. Of course I'm happy for Hannah and Zach, of course. "Why aren't you sleeping?"I asked.

"Can't."He spoke. "I figured I have to be ready if monsters come. Hannah's getting scared too, you know."

"Well, I know for a fact that you're a light sleeper...and much more scared than Hannah."

Zach smirked. "It's a different type of scared, though. Not scared of monsters or Slappy coming back."He said. "What are you scared of, then?"I asked.

"Losing her. I'm scared of losing Hannah...again. I let go of her once and it tore me apart. I'm not letting that happen again. Never."

I lifted my glasses. "I can see how much you love her, Zach. You deserve her,"I didn't know where the words came from. It was so sudden that I said it. "much much more than I thought."

"You're wrong. I didn't deserve her. I let her get sucked in the book. I failed her."Zach stared at Hannah, sleeping beside him.

"You deserved her. Don't say stuff like that."I scolded. "Now get some sleep. I promise I'll let you know when something's wrong."

Zach nodded and smiled. He closed his eyes and slept.

I went to check on Champ and Taylor's room. Both sleeping. And the television is on. Should I turn it off? Better not.

I closed the door and proceeded to Gale and Lorraine's room. Surprisingly, it was left open. And it was quiet. I opened the door. The groceries were on the bed, but the room was empty.

Where could those two have gone?

I scanned through the groceries, seeing a piece of folded paper stuck between the groceries. It appeared to be a letter from Gale and Lorraine.

Dear everyone,

We're very sorry about this, but we feel like you should go on without us. It's just a big adventure, and we fear it's too big for us. We're headed back for Madison, Delaware right now. Don't come back to get us.

-Gale and Lorraine

PS. Gale wrote everything that's why it's very full of vocabulary. Bye anyways.

They can't just do this to us! They can't leave now! But they chose it...we gotta move.