Chapter 5

R.L. STINE

They are so lucky that I was able to grab that last book from the safe.

Very lucky.

I just saved their lives. Including Lorraine's.

"I looked up at the mirror to check on them. Make sure those lovebirds aren't doing anything else than sleeping...

I can hear soft whispers: Zach probably explaining everything to Hannah.

Eew what am I seeing?! Zach and Hannah are kissing again. Anyway, I can't stop them.

My gosh. It's gonna be a long night.

***

ZACH

"Oh, that white light...I didn't know where it came from but right after that your dad came in with all of us here, and Champ. They were all set in running away, including me."

I can hear Slappy's voice repeatedly saying it over and over. "You can run. But you can't hide from Slappy!" Maybe it's true.

We can run and start over, but there'll always be another monster. Another Slappy to haunt our dreams.

"Kiss me, Zach. It'll all be okay."

I crashed my lips on hers softly, wrapping my arms around her waist. She kissed me back, and climbed on me. She lay beside the wall and I moved for her to have a space.

She slightly pulled away and traced her fingers along my chest. I continued kissing her cheek, then down to her jaw, then to her neck.

I know that Mr. Stine's watching, but I don't care. And he also might not care since he didn't forcibly pry me off Hannah and kick me out the bus.

Who knows when he might be a grandpa in a short while?

...

It's probably midnight. Hannah lay beside me, peacefully sleeping, her head on my chest. I slowly stood up from the bed, careful not to wake her up, and walked to Mr. Stine. I sat on the seat beside him.

"Well, I'm glad to know you two are done."He teased. "Well, you know that I really love her, right?"

Mr. Stine nodded.

"And I'd do anything to make her happy?"

Mr. Stine nodded.

"And that someday you're going to be my father-in-law?"

Mr. Stine nodded.

"Good."I said. I'm shaking. I kept my hands behind me to keep them from shaking.

"If you want to marry her, you could've just told me straight to the point."I looked up at him hopefully.

"I know you'd do anything to make her happy and to protect her. You'd do a fine son-in-law."

We spent most of the time chatting. It turns out that Mr. Stine is a good guy after all. Just afraid to show everyone his true colors.

I yawned. "You should go to sleep

I smiled at him and returned to Hannah and lied down beside her. She didn't flinch. Not even a small movement.

"I knew you were listening the whole time, babe."Hannah opened her eyes and frowned. "Okay fine. Did you have sensors and CCTV cameras installed here?"

I chuckled. "Of course not. Why would I ever do that?"I asked. "Nothing."Hannah said.

I kissed her forehead lightly. "I love you."

But she was already asleep.