Chapter 13

HANNAH

I sat on the bed beside Zach,who was staring at the ceiling of the RV. I held a book in my hand,y eyes scanning the pages of this book. Zach's eyes started closing; sleepiness and fatigue, I suppose.

We've been on the road for several hours now, driving past rows of corn and rice fields.

There wasn't anything fun that happened today, well, except the fact that Zach and I were cuddling hours ago.

Champ was sleeping on his bunk.
Taylor was listening to her ipod.

Zach stared at the empty bed across his, which I will vacate from this day forward.

Dad continued driving, occasionally sipping on hia frappuccino.

I read a book about four women desperate to get married, what was the title again? Oh right. Pride and Prejudice.

"You feel alright, Zach?"I asked. He's been so quiet and sleepy, but he can't sleep. His mom and aunt shouldn't have left. Look what's happening.

"Nu-uh."Zach murmured, shaking his head. "Do you wanna talk?"I asked. "If it's gonna be you I'm talking to."Zach smiled.

Ha! Okay that was so nice of you, Zach.

We had spent the next hour talking about random things. Like how I prefer my coffee to be made. My favorite color. My favorite singer. My favorite song. His love life. My favorite food. How long it takes for us to get up from bed. His life in the big city.

But then there was this one question that really bothered me. So I decided I'd keep it to myself for a while and ask him later.

"I know you're probably trying to recovee from this...but it just kinda bothers me...what happened to your...dad?"I choked the words out.

Zach just looked at me and sighed. He took out his phone from his pocket and opened his gallery, handing it to me. There was a picture of him with a man--his dad.

I can tell by the way they look very much alike.

"His name was George Cooper. He...was 45. He was my best friend, and...just last year...it was very rainy...his car crashed on a tree and it just went to flames. He couldn't get out, and then it exploded. He..was on his way to my 17 birthday celebration from work. When he was near the venue, he realized he left his gift for me in his office, so he went to pick it up. Then it started to storm, he lost control, then..."

I can see tears forming in his eyes. I wiped it away. I noticed that everyone was listening to his story, even dad, who often turned his head to look at Zach but eventually looks away and focuses on driving.

"That's so horrible!"Taylor commented. "Ya think?"Zach asked. "Worst part was, I never got the chance to tell him I was sorry for arguing with his the night before."Zach said.

"It wasn't your fault he died."I looked him in the eye, but there was something in him that prevented him from looking at me.

"I need a moment."Zach said, avoiding us so that no one'll see him cry. He walked to the end of the RV and sat on the floor, on the corner and held his phone to his ear, listening to something.

***

YEAH! GEORGE WAS ZACH'S DAD!!! Now you might be wondering...

What's Zach listening to?

That you'll know...

Set the date.

DECEMBER 21, 2015. At noon. Or maybe not. Argh!

Okay just expect it any hour on Monday. Drop the theatricality.

Peace out.

By the way, it's Monday in my time...in the Pacific time...yeah...when I publish it it's still probably Sunday in your time.