Chapter Seven : Confrontation

"Bracen." I called for him .

He came into the living room and stood in front of me . I grabbed his hands and pulled him closer to me . I smiled weakly and traced my finger across his scar .

"Bracen you know I love you right?" I asked him seriously .

He nodded .

"You know I wouldn't let anyone hurt you , right?"

He nodded again .

"Would you be honest with me? Would you tell me the truth?" His eyes started wondering around the living room ignoring my strong gaze .

"It depends." He said softly . He rocks on his heels .

"Why does it depends?"

He ignored me . "Hm? Why Bracen?" I shook him a little .

"Let me see your back."

"No." He pushed my hand away .

"Bracen let me see-"

"No!" He jerked himself from my grip .

He stepped back and sat on the floor sitting Indian style .

"Bracen I need you to talk to me. What's been going on?" He played with the ruffles that were on the carpet .

I stood and picked him up . He started kicking and screaming .

"Bracen calm down!"

"Let me go!" He screamed . I held him by his waist as I dragged him to the couch . He started squirming out of my grasp .

"Stop Bracen!" He pushed the coffee table with his foot .

"Stop!" I scolded him . He continued to kick and squirm causing me to slide to the floor . I crossed my legs over his so he wouldn't move .

"I'm not letting you go! Not until you tell me Bracen!" I cried . My hair covered our faces as we cried . I pushed it back and kissed his forehead . We sat in silence trying to catch our breath .

"Why are you afraid of him?" I whispered .

"He don't like me TeeTee." He cried .

"What does he do to you?" I calmed myself . "Why don't you want to be around him?"

"Promise you won't tell." He stuck his pinky out . I glanced at his pinky and contemplated . I wrapped my pinky around his .

"I promise."

"He h-" He stopped when he heard the front door swing open . He managed to untangle himself from my grip and run away .

"Bracen!" I tried to run after him but I was out of breath . I heard when his bedroom door slammed .

"What the fuck that boy got going slamming these damn doors!" Marion barked .

"What's going on?!" He asks when he saw my tears . I wiped my face and seen he was holding a bag of Wendy's .

"Marion." I glared at him. "Why is Bracen afraid of you?"

"What?"

"Why is Bracen afraid of you!" I repeated .

"Brooklyn , we been over this shit." He huffed .

"Why it always have to be me against him ? I don't do shit to that little boy . You don't act that way about the twins." He mugged me .

"What does that supposed to mean?"

"It's always about Bracen . Bracen this . Bracen that . You don't give a damn about your own fucking kids!"