brunch

"Did you like the French Toast? " Kian asked.

"Yeah it was amazing!" He put his elbows on the table, and flashed a smile. I smiled back at him. After eating brunch Kian and I walked to an ice cream shop just a block away from the pancake house.

"Let's play a game" He enthusiastically suggested.

"Be specific Kian. What game?" I asked as I waved my arms to signal him to go on.

"Twenty-one questions."

"Sure. I'll go first. " He nodded his head in approval. "Why did you agree to babysit me?"

"I don't know honestly. I'm usually bored and I wanted to try something different other than just sit on my ass all night long and do nothing."

"Oh.. well.. okay.. your turn."

"Why did you get arrested? Like what did you do?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"I want to be an investigator, and know some more about you" He finished with a wink.  I laughed and took a sip of my strawberry milkshake.

"Well, you know Jordan. He wanted to go and break things in one of my teachers house. The teacher and his wife went on a vacation. Me, Jordan, Kate and my other friends, we went and started vandilising. They had alarms in the house which signaled the police, and that's how we got arrested." He nodded his head, which looked like disapproval.

"My turn, have you ever, uhm.." I paused to think about what I was going to ask him next. "Have you ever broke into anything?" He laughed to himself and started explaining.

"Uh yeah, I have but it was a dare and I never got caught."

I chuckled. "Wow I never knew you were a 'daredevil'."

He laughed "My turn, would you ever date a 17 year old, by chance?" I rolled my eyes and sucked up some of my milkshake and then blew into the top and spit it all over him.

"Morgan!" He screamed. 

"Agh, ew no I would never date you kian." I joked.

He got all the foam off of his chocolate milkshake and rubbed it on my nose.

"Kian" I groan. I grab the straw from his mouth and smack him with it then I slid it back into his drink.

We heard the shop bell ring. I turn around and look over my shoulder to see Jordan and Kate walk in. They head to the ice cream freezers and start to order ice cream.

I see Kates long wavy hair bounce as she's hopping up and down waiting for her ice cream. I sigh at what she's doing because, I used to be there ordering.

Kian locks his eyes with mine "Let's go" He whispers, I nod my head in a shame.

I grab my sweater and we head to the door. The bell rings and Kate turns around. Her eyes lock with mine and I mentally slap myself for not keep walking. Kate nudges Jordan and points to me who is standing there like a deer in the headlights. Jordan smirks and starts to walk over. I turn on my heel and speed walk over to Kian.

I jump onto his back and he grabs my legs and he runs down the street as he gives me a piggyback ride. Once were out of sight of the ice cream shop he sets me down.

"Whoa, what a run. Done my exercise for the week." I giggled and start screaming at the top of my lungs and watch all of the birds flee out of the trees and fly away.

I watch on how fast they fly away and how there wings flap super fast and just picture how their feathers blows in the wind. I start running towards to the beach and kick my shoes off. I look behind and see that Kian isn't there. I face forward and see a man sitting at the bench he looks super creepy.

I casually walk over there to go sit on a different bench. I get to the play structure and decide that it would be best to just go walk in the cold water.

I pick my shoes up and head over there. The waves are crashing against the sand and it looks like there's like a big claw or a hand taking over the sand. My feet hit the cool water and it feels like I'm free. I then feel a presence behind me so I start walking towards the dock. I then feel a hand plump onto my shoulder.

"Get away!" I yell and turn around to see who it is.

"Calm down." Kian shouts back at me.

"Geez, don't do that. You scared me." He laughs.

"Let's go to the dock." He suggests, or more like commands. We get to the dock and sit on the edge and put our feet over the ledge.

"Let's continue the game" I suggest.

"Yeah. Sure."

"Okay you go" he says. "Okay, Kian have you ever regretted anything that you've done before? For example like have your friends convince you that we should break into Mr. Achers house and break some stuff and steal stuff?"

"Morgan?"

"Yeah.?"

"You were gonna tell someone?"

"Yeah... but don't tell anyone I was gonna tell"

"I won't. I promise." He paused. "Morgan. I'm gonna tell you something. I was with some of my friends and they said that we should go and egg one of our parents houses. What do you think happened?"

"You told?"

"No, I did it because I've chickened out before and they didn't talk to me for almost a whole month. I didn't want that to happen again."

"What happened? Did you guys get caught?"

"Sadly and badly. Yes and we got in some deep shit."

"Oh.."

"Wanna know the worst thing?"

"What? Kian what happened?"

"The parents house we egged was my friend Andreas house. Andrea was home and she came outside and she knew it was us. She called the cops." He paused again. "She was my girlfriend. " He sighs. "I-I tried to explain to her but she didn't want to hear it"

"How long ago was this?" I asked.

"Last month."

I get up and hold my hand out to him. He takes it and we walk back to the diner.

Kian pulls his phone out and calls an Uber. It comes in under five minutes. We get in and the car drives away in silence. One we get back to my house we walk in. I see my mom on the couch and her face is all blotchy and he eyes are puffy.

"Kian?" She asks.

"Yeah Mrs. Baker?"

"Your mother got in a hit and run accident. She's in the hospital and in serious critical condition. I think you should stay with us until she's good enough to get out, she hasn't woken up yet or sense the last time I checked." My mom said slowly. My mom and I both looked over at Kian. I saw a little tear escape from his left eye and roll down his cheek.