thirteen; sleeping curse

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄  

CHAPTER THIRTEEN; SLEEPING CURSE

Everyone walked as if they were in mourning; slow and steady, sadness constricting on their faces. A firm frown settled on Sage's lips as she walked behind the blonde savior. She tried to wrap her head around things, figure out how Cora could beat them and just take Aurora like it was nothing. She was smart, clever, deceiving in every which way. Before the curse, all those years ago, Sage constantly wondered where Regina's wrath came from. Sage started to question if that horrible wrath originally traced back to Cora, her own flesh and blood. But the more the thief thought about, the more she doubted that was true.

The Evil Queen became the Evil Queen, because of her unquenchable thirst for revenge. It all started with Daniel's death and since then, Regina has always put the blame on Snow. As much as Sage disagreed that Snow was at fault for Daniel's passing, she also understood why Regina would be so hell-bent on making Snow pay. Long ago, Snow had explained what exactly happened the night of Daniel's death. Regina blamed Snow, who was ten years old at the time, for telling Cora about her and Daniel's secret relationship. A part of Sage was upset with herself that she could easily sympathize with a villain. She understood Regina, Rumpelstiltskin, and half of the other villains she's faced. She couldn't help it; she saw the good in people, despite their actions. It was both a curse and blessing to have that personality trait.

Their walking in silence continued until everyone heard the flapping of wings and caws echoing through-out the forest. Slowly, everyone's heads turned to see a large, flying crow gently land on Mary Margaret's shoulder. Mary Margaret, being the animal loving person she was, didn't even flinch, but instead, leaned forward to the black bird. "Wait!" She said, listening as the bird cawed in her ear, before it flew away in the opposite direction.

Mary Margaret just stood still, her mouth open in disbelief. Emma glanced between her mother and the flying bird that seemed to vanish into the blue sky. "What the hell was that?"

"Cora." The sound of her name made everyone tense, looking at Mary Margaret for an explanation. "We have until sundown to bring her the compass. If we don't, she'll kill Aurora."

Sage rose her eyebrows in surprise, seemingly unfazed since it didn't surprise her that Cora would do something so horrible. "You know we're in trouble when we need a crow to come and help us." She muttered to herself.

From her front pocket, Emma pulled out the enchanted compass and twiddled it in her hand. Sage had given the Savior the compass since wearing the compass plus her pocket-watch around her neck was starting to hurt. Mulan suddenly stepped forward with her hand out. "Give it to me!"

Emma stepped back, putting her hands up as if it would stop Mulan. "Hold on, Mulan. Just give us a minute to consider."

The warrior was quick to retort in a sharp tone. "A compass is not worth Aurora's life."

Finally, Sage decided to step forward, a plea written on her face. "We need a plan to get back Aurora and keep the compass."

"My vow to Philip was to protect Aurora." Mulan sternly said, not backing down from this battle. A warrior was many things, but honor was their code. Sage couldn't be angry with Mulan for wanting to keep her promise to Philip and rescue Aurora, since that was the right thing to do. But at the same time, the three women had to get home. There needed to be a compromise, and a strategic plan. "That promise is all that is left of him, so it shall be done."

Before anyone could speak back, Mulan swiftly reached over and gripped onto the compass, trying to yank it out of Emma's hand. But the blonde held tighter, yanking it back. "Hey! Hey!"