twenty eight; what the water gave me

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄

TWENTY-EIGHT; WHAT THE WATER GAVE ME

     "You're burning the pancakes."

     David furrowed his brows, glanced at his attempt at making breakfast, and made an offended sound in the back of his throat, "I am not."

     Sage look at him like he was a moron and gestured to the darkening blemishes on flat sides of the pancakes, "They're too dark and too flat. You didn't put enough flour and I saw a couple of egg shells in the batter."

     "There were no egg shells in my pancake mix." He retorted, matter-of-factly. He lifted up the stack of pancakes that were neatly pressed to the glass plate, inspecting it very closely, but ended the investigation with a scoff, "There's nothing wrong with my breakfast."

     "Whatever you say, Charming." She reluctantly said, before taking an awkward bite from her granola bar.

     Emma trudged down the stairs and rolled her eyes at the sight of David holding a full-tray platter of breakfast for his wife, "Really? Breakfast in bed?"

     "Are you mad, because the pancakes are badly cooked?" Sage pondered, feeling the harden glare coming from the blue eyes of the former prince. "Or, because his scrambled eggs weren't whisked enough, before they were put onto the fry pan?"

     "My eggs are perfectly ―" David rolled his shoulders and bit back his response, before curtly responding to his daughter, "What happened has been really hard on Mary Margaret. The least we can do is make sure she's eating."

     Emma argued otherwise, "I think it's time to give the hot cocoa and the foot massages a rest. It's time to haul her ass out of bed and get her to move past this."

     "Killing somebody isn't something you can just move on from." Sage thought to herself, about to vocalize it until David beat her too it. "That's a little harsh, don't you think? She took Cora's life."

     Before this discussion could continue, Henry came walking down the stairs, curiously looking at the trio of adults, "Is everything alright?"

     "Everything's fine, kid. Get your coat. We're gonna be late."

     Emma leaned closer to the pair, quietly speaking so that her son couldn't hear, "I know you think that she needs our help. But at the end of the day, she's the only one who can help herself."

     With that, the mother-son pair left for their playdate with Neal while David and Sage were left babysitting Mary Margaret. Well, David at least, since Sage was already heading out. The minute David and Sage turned back around to face the kitchen, Mary Margaret was already quietly moving around in the small space, "Good morning."

     "Hey." David gently greeted her, subtle, but Sage could tell the tense excitement in finally seeing his wife moving out of bed. "Morning. I made you some eggs, but if you're craving something else, we can go to Granny's ― unless you have other plans."

     A brown, practically ancient old bag was prompted up on the counter, the zipper wide open as the pixie-haired woman packed mini cans of tuna and other movable goods inside. She didn't even bother to look up, just kept bustling along, "I thought I'd head out to the woods, actually. I need to think things through."

     "Let me come with you."

     "David, I need to do this alone." Her voice was so quiet, so fragile as if it was cracked glass and one misspoken word could shatter the whole figure piece. Desperation was creeping onto David, his inability to emotional help his wife beginning to worry him now than ever, "And you have things to do. I know you've been looking forward to working in the bean field."