twenty one; a monster's redemption

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄  

not edited.

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE; A MONSTER'S REDEMPTION

"Sage? You okay?"

The brunette jumped, obviously quite startled with the abrupt voice that belonged to Emma. She opened her eyes, sighing in slight relief that it was the blonde Savior and not Cora. It seems like the Queen of Hearts' return was putting her on edge. She moved away from the door and walked towards Emma, who stood in the middle of the hallway with weary concern swirling in her eyes, "Did the meeting with Hook go okay?"

Sage huffed, crossing her arms against her chest. "It depends on your definition of 'okay'. He told me he has no idea where the hell Cora is and honestly, I kind of expected him not to know. Cora, from what I remember, isn't much of a team player. Did you get any information about our John Doe?"

They continued to talk as the two woman walked side-by-side down the hallway, intent on finding the rest of the group back in the waiting room. "Yeah, we did. We still don't know a whole lot about him, but it's better than nothing."

As they came closer to the end of the hallway, voices coming from the separated half of the group came into earshot:

"We've got to get into his phone."

"Let me guess another pass code."

"You can't guess. There are a million possible combinations!"

"Ten-thousand."

"Ten-thousand!"

"Leroy, can you get it open or something? Hack it?"

"Well, you do understand that computer hacking and pickax hacking are different."

When Emma and Sage re-entered the lobby, both of them saw the four fairy tales gathered around the unknown man's phone, attempting to get through the electronic lock. "Here, let me try. I have a thing." Emma said, grasping the phone in one hand and inserting a small chip into it. Everyone peered over her shoulders to look down at the small screen. "And we do know something. There was stuff in his car - rental agreement, maps, receipts. His name is Greg Mendell. Now, let's see..."

Finally, the Savior was able to crack through the security code and willingly go through the phone. Her thumb swiped and tapped through the endless information, "Pictures of him alone at a bunch of Eastern Seaboard tourist locations, a LinkedIn account, and he tweets pictures of his food. I'll keep looking, but I think what we have here is a well-documented, real-life ordinary Joe. Or Greg."

"He doesn't seem like a bad guy, but any person who excessively tweets pictures of food is either really lonely, or trying out for The Great British Bake Off." Sage muttered under her breath, scratching her forehead.

Ruby cast her hazel eyes down to the marble floor, tapping her foot anxiously against it as worry clouded her features, "So, whatever's kept random people from stumbling into Storybrooke for the last twenty-eight years ―"