twenty two; stranger danger

AUTHOR'S NOTE/TRIGGER WARNING: Option #2 was the most popular vote (some people commented while others sent me direct messages through my inbox), but don't worry, the flashbacks from Option #1 will be written in either this book or in the future. This chapter will involve episode thirteen, but it doesn't involve many present-day scenes. Now, the flashbacks are very dark and very sad, so, prepare you heart, because I'm putting Sage through a lot of fucking pain. Some of these flashbacks involve references to child abuse. It's nothing to explicit, but I'm just being cautious.This chapter was not edited.

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄

CHAPTER TWENTY TWO; STRANGER DANGER

     "This isn't going to work."

     Captain Hugo Chamberlain of the Kiss of Death, the apparently fastest ship in all of Wonderland, was slumped back in the leather couch in his living room, the stress and tension circling in the room finally dawning on him. The man who had been currently ranting for the past hour was Hugo's first mate Barnabas Mathews, who stood broadly in front of him. Pausing, Barnabas took a long sip of the golden colored bourbon in his glass, before placing it back on a nearby table, a little too aggressively. For a brief moment, the only sound came from the rapid flickering of the vermilion fire that swayed in the fireplace behind Barnabas.

     Barnabas began to pace, dragging his slender hands down his face while groaning, "None of this is ever going to work if we can't sneak into Black Port unless the guards aren't on patrol!"

     "Why don't we just sneak up and take them from behind." Hugo calmly suggested, yet the irritation was clear on his face. This conversation was going on longer than he had expected, or wanted it too. "Tie em' up and throw them in the brig of the ship, it's nothing we haven't done before."

     "Because, Hugo, the entrance to the port is in front of His Majesty's castle, simply a few yards away. If we attack the port guards, then watchmen in the lookout towers will surely spot us and we won't have enough time to escape."

     "Always worrying." laughed the Captain, who was now pouring himself a cup of bourbon since his friend was drinking.

     The other man sighed heavily, looking at his captain in bewilderment. "I don't understand how you can be so relaxed."

     "All we have to do is send Ratty and Newt ―" Two deckhands from the ship who had more muscle than brains." ― up the south-side of the lookout towers. They'll knock out the watchmen and give us the signal that everything is running smoothly. Then, after they do, we take out the port guards and make our way into the Royal Dungeon. Easy as pie."

     Barnabas flopped down onto a nearby chair, considering the idea while tapping his foot against the floor. "It's a risk ―"

     Hugo sat up and curved his lips into an amused grin, bellowing, "What's life without a little risk? Come on, mate, show me some of that classy piracy of yours!"

     "By 'classy', I assume you mean mischievous and illegal." He chuckled, before hesitatingly nodding his head in agreement. "Alright, I'll tell the men tomorrow morning that we are to arrive at Black Port."