twenty four; family ties

⚄ ⚄  

CHAPTER TWENTY FOUR; FAMILY TIES

     A solemn and expressionless Sage casually followed the group up the swirled staircase that led to the second floor, where Neal, or Baelfire's, unlisted apartment was located at. After the whole confrontation between the brunette and the blonde, which involved yelling and angry shouting in the streets of Manhattan, both woman separately found their ways back to the apartment building, where Gold and Henry were still stationed at, not daring to move or to leave. However, it was Emma, and only Emma, that told both Gold and Henry that the man got away, not revealing anything about her past with him, or the fact that she had a child with him. Sage stood there, avoiding all eye contact and not saying a single goddamn word. 

     It didn't make her innocent by any means. She could have told both Gold and Henry about their encounter, but she was still trying to wrap her mind around everything. Plus, she wanted to give Emma some time to come clean. Sage was being truthful when she stated that she wasn't going to lie to Gold or Henry for her. If Emma didn't confess, Sage eventually would. Sometimes, Sage hated her conscious, the one that would always make her feel immensely guilty if she lied, or cheat, or kept a secret. 

     Gold, who was beginning to swell with usual-characteristic impatience, finally grew bored of all of the way and stormed upstairs, making his way towards Baelfire's apartment. Emma, Henry, and Sage all followed along. Emma was the only one out of three that was trying to stop him, "Stop! You can't just break in!"

     "Yeah, well, actually, that's something I'm quite adept at." The man hurried over to the door and pulled out a pair of uneven tweezers, angling them into the lock above the door and carefully twisting it.

     "He might not come back." 

     "Okay. Finding people is what you do, Miss Swan. I'm simply going to assist you." snapped Gold, who was paying no mind to the Savior's protests. Sage knew Gold well enough to know nothing, not even Emma, was going to stop him from seeing his son. "There may be information in here. Who he is, what he does, who he loves."

     Sage sneaked a glance over at Emma, who seemingly didn't know how to respond to that statement. Despite the brief and ill-willed conversation, Sage caught a whiff of the broken love that was between Emma and Neal. It was clear, that at one point or another, they did love each other, but that arose the question of do they still love each other? Sage wondered that too, time from time. Did she still love Jefferson? Yes, she always would, because he was her first love, despite not loving her back. But she's moved on from him and healed the open wounds he left on her heart. She loved him, but she wasn't in love with him anymore; there was a distinctive difference between the two. 

     "No, don't do this." Emma shook her head, vehemently. "There are things called laws."

     "I'll be the lookout!" Henry confidently said and scurried off, before either of the two women could stop him.

     Gold let out a low, irritated sigh of frustration, before turning to his former employee. "Sage, do you mind helping me with this?"

     Without saying a single word, Sage nodded and took out a bobby pin from her back-pocket. She took the pin and stretched out the thin piece of metal, making it one long, crooked wire. She bent the curve slightly, before carefully sliding the wire into the lock. She pressed her ear to the door and patiently, slid the wire deeper and deeper, jiggling it until she heard the first click. While she was doing this, Emma and Gold were still arguing, "You both could be arrested for breaking in and entering."