twenty nine; out with the old

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄

TWENTY-NINE; OUT WITH THE OLD

The hideously-orange colored truck rumbled down the vacant and practically unused street on the countryside of Storybrooke. The royal couple were in the front seats, David's right hand firm on the steering wheel while his other was eagerly clutching onto his wife's. Emma and Sage were strapped onto the row of back seats, their mouths shut, but minds flaring with the excitement and curiosity about what they were going to see. Both David and Mary Margaret had woken them up bright and early in the morning, anxious to show them their big "surprise" that they couldn't wait a minute longer.

Under most circumstances, Sage felt indifferent about surprises. The outcome of them could be good, like when Thomas took her on a trip to Snark Island to watch the Aurealis Borealis for her second birthday that they spent together or when she surprised Henry with volumes of his favorite comic-books for Christmas last year. In her lifetime, however, most of them have been horrible, but thankfully, she knew David and Mary Margaret well enough to know they wouldn't make her confront something unpleasant ― well, at least unintentionally.

The automobile came to a smooth stop at the left side of the road. David and Mary Margaret got out first, preceded by Emma and Sage. The blonde former grew more irritated as the anticipation in the air festered. "Why are we in the middle of nowhere? Why aren't you guys telling me what's going on? Why the secrecy?"

Sage placed her hands on her hips, narrowly glancing at the empty and rubbish piece of abandoned farmland that was across the road. It hadn't looked used, considering the grass was straw-yellow, the ground looked muddy and distorted, and heavy rainfall was last season proved to have done damaged to the barely-there soil. "Yeah, guys, this is a bit too Children of the Corn for me?"

Her mother spun on her heels to face her, a soft smile quirking on her pink lips, "Because you both need to see it."

"Great. That always goes well for me." Emma muttered, sharing a displeased look with Sage, before stating more more anxiously. "Listen, whatever it is, it can wait. August was trying to warn me about something ― someone dangerous."

Since August's abrupt transformation from his older, wooden self to his bashful and ginger-haired child's self, Emma's been at a lost as to finding out what the hell he was going to tell her. Both her and Sage had searched around his trailer back in the woods, but there was nothing of significance that would led to his supposed "warning".

"Doesn't matter." David grinned, wrapping an arm around his wife's shoulders.

"Why not?"

"Because of this." Mary Margaret reached for her daughter's hand, just as David was grasping onto the deputy's one. Together, the four walked into the crown of the field and entered an invisible ray of magic, the instant effect of penetrating it taking Sage's breath away for a moment. What was once a futile and empty acres of land turned to a completely flourishing farm with rows of lively crops and agriculture growing.

"Holy shit." mumbled Sage, her blinking brown eyes trying to absorb the rapid transition. Suddenly, someone from the field called her name. It was Anton, except no longer in a towering, giant form, but at a average, normal size. Despite the shock numbing her brain, she managed to greet back and hug him. She hadn't recalled seeing him in Storybrooke, only on the beanstalk in the Enchanted Forest.

The former giant pulled away, innocently asking, "Are you here to help? It's not quite harvest time yet."

"Beans." Emma gasped out, her green eyes pondering over the columns of rising seeds attached to the sticks planted into the ground. "You're growing magic beans. That's what you were up to when we were in New York? Why didn't you tell us?