twenty; a shot in the heart

⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄ ⚄  

not edited. 

CHAPTER TWENTY; A SHOT IN THE HEART

     "You think they're gonna be okay?"

     Sage let out a shaky, long sigh, before anxiously tapping her fingers on the leather steering wheel in front of her and unintentionally pressing harder on the gas petal. Prior to this very moment, the day itself was already emotionally draining; there was Archie's funeral (which turned out to be pointless), the whole debate about if the townspeople were staying or going back to the Enchanted Forest, and Archie, who was presumed to be deceased at the hands of Regina, turning up on the loft doorway, very much alive and breathing. Turns out, it was not Regina who had faked Archie's death, but it was Cora, though Sage knew her mostly as the Queen of Hearts. 

     Just when Sage thought her night couldn't have gotten any worse, a call comes in from the police station saying that there was a car crash by the town line. She couldn't piece together who the hell was by the town line since a majority of the locals kept away from it since accidentally crossing it could wash away your memories. 

     Sage huffed stiffly, before tapping her fingers anxiously against the leather-bounded steering wheel, "Whoever got in the crash? Hopefully. I really don't feel like planning another funeral."

     Emma glanced back at her parents, who sat in the back seat of the police car, and nodded. "Agreed."

     Finally, the sheriff's call pulled up to the scene of the crime. Two cars, one of the an unfamiliar grey and the other a steel black that notoriously belonged to Mr. Gold, were by the town line; the grey one, which had a plate license from Pennsylvania, was banged up pretty bad and crashed into a nearby tree. When the four scattered out of the car, Sage looked forward and saw Gold and Bell in front of the road line. Belle seemed terrified out of her mind. 

     Mary Margaret and David raced over to them in a hurry while Emma picked up her phone and dialed the hospital for ambulances. "I'm at the town line. Two people down, maybe three. There's a car – pretty banged up with Pennsylvania plates."

     With wide eyes, Sage scanned over the entire area, until sharply stopping once a metal gleam caught her attention. A curved figured was weakly waving in the air. From the distance, it looked like a, well, hook. Realization unfortunately dawned onto Sage. No, no, no, no. There was no way that he, of all people, was in Storybrooke. Then again, if Cora's also back in town, it would make sense that the insufferable pirate was as well. 

     As Sage walked closer to the side of the road, she finally noticed the one and only Captain Hook lying on the muddy ground. He was breathing heavily, seemingly in pain, but his face was bruised and bloody. Thunder clapped in the black sky, along with heavy pouring rain that was trickling down Sage's face and hair, but she didn't have time to care. She had a pirate to deal with. Once she stood beside him, the battered captain finally noticed her presence. He attempted to give her a charming smile, but it only looked like a bloody grimace. "Hey beautiful."

     Sage huffed and rolled her eyes, wondering how flirting was his main priority right now. She crouched down just as he began to talk again, "Here, I didn't think you'd notice ― ahh!" He yelled out in pain as Sage reached over and gently pushed down on the side of his body. From what it felt like (it was hard to tell, because of the layers of thick leather he was wearing), his skin was tender and sore, probably meaning his ribs are broken.