Born to Die

The phone began to ring. Carmen was in the bathroom throwing up, Danny was at Rolling Stone for an article, and Ryan was at the studio, so it had to be me to answer.

"Percy-Ryder residence." I cheerily answered. There was a heavy breath on the other end.

"Cassidy?" His voice made my knees weak, and my skin crawl with pleasure. I choked and placed my hand on the wall to keep my balance. "Cassidy is that you?" Tears began to prick at my eyes and I breathed out.

"Yes." I quickly answered. I heard Duff cry out a little bit.

"I can't believe it. I thought you were dead." He cried. I fell on the floor and held my head in my hands.

"Believe me, I was for awhile." I muttered. Duff stopped crying.

"Listen, I know. I know what I did was such a dick move, okay? I know. Just let me see you." He suggested. My breath hitched and I looked at the time.

"I'm coming to you this time." I muttered. I heard him chuckle lightly.

"Got a pen?" I smiled and grabbed a piece of paper from the counter and a pen.

*****
I tied my red Chuck Taylors and put on my white fringe leather jacket. I sighed and looked in the mirror one last time.

"You look beautiful. Just don't let him see the tracks." Carmen said. I smirked and hugged her. "And please don't get pregnant." She giggled. I laughed and ran outside to the cab.

I gave the cab driver the address and sat back. Watching my home town go past me like nothing.

It was a new decade, which meant that a new scene was starting. It was only 9 P.M and the strip wasn't that busy, unlike sometimes.

The cab took me up the hills, up by the Observatory, past the Hollywood sign. He stopped at this deserted parking lot that was lit with only a few street lights. There Duff stood, looking beautiful. His hair was longer, and he seemed taller.

I paid the fare and exited the car. The car drove off and left me standing there, watching him watching me.

I couldn't take it anymore. I ran over to him and dropped my bag in the process. He enveloped me into his arms and hugged me tighter then I could remember. We both laughed as he hugged me. I looked up to him and stopped laughing. I went for it. I connected our lips and passionately kissed him. It was a lot more loving and needy than the last kiss we shared a year ago.

Duff picked me up by my thighs and turned me over onto the hood of his car where he continued to kiss me.

"Your hair is lighter." He laughed against my lips. I giggled and continued to kiss him.

"Your hair is longer." I mocked while I played with it. He kissed me again. We stayed like that for a while, just kissing and telling each other what's different, I even told him about the drugs.

"Let's go on a drive." He spontaneously said. I giggled.

"Where?" He opened the drivers door.

"Anywhere." He laughed. I opened the passenger door and got in. It still had the same smell I remembered. Cigarettes, cologne, and a tad bit of marijuana. Which to my delight, Duff was lighting a joint as I took in the scent. He took a hit, and handed it to me. I happily took a hit and enjoyed the moment.

The radio was currently playing Panama by Van Halen as he sped down the highway in the desert. I handed him the blunt which he puffed on for awhile. I scooted over and laid my head onto his shoulder. I breathed in his scent and sighed.

I don't even know what we are anymore. We never broke things off, but we haven't talked in months. But whatever we were, I couldn't leave him. That's where I knew he's always been my drug.

"Yeah, we're runnin' a little bit hot tonight.
I can barely see the road from the heat comin' off of it.
Ah, you reach down, between my legs, ease the seat back.
She's blinding, I'm flying,
Right behind the rear-view mirror now.
Got the feeling, power steering,
Pistons popping, ain't no stopping now!"

"Oh shit!" Duff yelled as a guy randomly cut us off. Duff swerved the car and somehow it flipped over and off of the highway. That's where it rolled a little more and then slammed into a tree.

"Oh fuck." Duff groaned. I was on the floor of the car, but I couldn't move. Everything was painful, and I felt blood run down my face. "Oh god, Cassidy?! Baby, are you okay?" Duff cried. My eyes couldn't open. I was completely incapable of anything.

"Hey! Are you guys okay?" Someone yelled from the distance.

"Call someone! My girlfriend isn't moving!" Duff screamed. I heard him open the door and pick me up. "Oh my god." He cried. He knelt down and laid me on his lap where he continued to cry.

That's where something incredible began. I saw myself from above. I saw everything. My entire face was covered in blood, including my hair. My chest had a piece of glass inside with a little blood seeping out.

Duff sat there, watching me. He had a few scratches and gashes on him, but nothing that's life threatening.

"Oh god, Cassidy. Please stay with me." He cried. I heard the ambulance coming and Duff looked up with a panicked expression.

"What's her name?" The EMT asked quickly and strictly.

"Cassidy Ryder." Duff shakily answered. They brought a gurney over and quickly put my lifeless body on it.

"How'd this happen?" A police officer asked.

"We were driving down the highway and this guy cut us off. I tried to correct the wheel, but then it just spun out of control and we flipped." He explained.

"Have you been drinking tonight or taken any drugs, sir?" Duff quickly shook his head. Yeah, we did smoke some pot, but it's incredibly hard to tell when Duff is high on a drug like marijuana.

"Okay. We're gonna get your friend to the hospital, and try to save her life. You should go with so they can patch you up." Duff quickly stood up and ran to the ambulance.

That's where my body was being fussed over. I had an oxygen mask over my face and several machines were already hooked up to me.

"She's losing a lot of blood!" One of the EMTs stated. Duff sat on the side, watching me, praying to god I'll survive.

"We're gonna have to bring her into the ER so we can take the glass shard out of her chest. All we can do for now is try to stop the bleeding." They explained to Duff, who just sat there.

"Her heart is slowing down!" They yelled. Duff's face panicked and he grabbed onto my hand. The EMT grabbed a tube of adrenaline and slammed it into my heart.

"C'mon Cassidy! Stay with me!" Duff whispered. It took a few moments for the EMTs to notice that my heart began to pump normally again. That's when we got to the ER.