The New Singer

September 20th 1991

"Are you fucking serious?! Bronchitis?! God dammit!" Axl yelled from the kitchen. Everyone in the living room turned their heads.

"What's going on?" Audrey muttered at Jenna. Jenna shrugged and shook her head. We heard Axl slam the phone down on the counter and entered the living room.

"What's going on, man?" Duff asked. Axl huffed out in frustration.

"Both of the back up singers can't tour for a while. They gave each other bronchitis." Axl muttered. Slash groaned, as did Duff.

"Well now what? We go back on tour in two days!" I muttered. We sat there trying to think. Duff looked up and smirked.

"Cass?" I looked over to him and my face dropped.

"What? No!" I groaned. Duff pouted.

"Oh c'mon! It's just a backup position!" Slash commented.

"Well if I do it, then who's gonna be next to me?" I raised my voice.

"I'll do it!" Kylie volunteered.

"Kylie, Ashes Of Angst is already the opening act..." Izzy trailed off.

"So what? Just like what Slash said, it's just a backup position." She shot back.

"I haven't even performed in front of a crowd before." I muttered. Duff smirked a little bit.

"You've performed in front of me..." He murmured.

"Listen. If you do two gigs and see what it's like, then you can quit of you don't like it." Matt peeped in.

"Fine." I groaned. Everyone jumped up and cheered.

"You're a life saver." Axl smiled. He walked into the kitchen to call the person who called him earlier.

*****
September 22 1991

We boarded the same 727 we boarded when we went to Rio. I went over to the bar and grabbed my usual bottle of Jack Daniels. One for me, one for Duff.

"Oh, Cassidy. Please be responsible." Danny pleaded. I rolled my eyes and took a swig of the whiskey.

"I'm always responsible." I lied.

This was the 5th time I was gonna go to the room where Duff, Slash and I got high. But over time, Audrey and Izzy decided to join us.

Duff stood us and shot me the signal that he was going to the back room. I nodded and took another sip.

"Where're you going?" Danny asked. I rolled my eyes again.

"To take a nap." I mumbled. I opened the door walked into the room.

Audrey, Izzy, Slash, Duff, and Kylie were sitting on the bed.

"Since when are you taking drugs?" I pointed at Kylie. I locked the door and threw Duff the bottle of Jack.

"It's been awhile. I just have nerves." She cleared up. Slash grabbed the gallon bag of the several drugs.

"So, what do we have this time?" Audrey excitedly asked. She clapped her hands and rubbed them together.

"Hmmm. We have crack, cocaine, quaaludes, and heroin." My head shot up when I heard the sweet name, heroin.

I ripped the bag from Slash's hand and opened it to get the heroin. I unbuckled my belt and wrapped it around my left arm. Duff was already liquefying the solid form of heroin and sipped it up in the needle.

"Here." He handed me the needle and I stabbed it into my favorite vein.

After being clean from heroin for a year, and then shooting up, it gives you that feeling like you just came home after being kidnapped.

Everyone else was smoking crack and snorting the cocaine.

*****
"Okay, Kylie, we're going to have you over there." Axl pointed to the right corner of the stage. "And Cassidy, you're gonna be over there." He pointed to the left side. I nodded and walked to the lone mic stand.

Slash began the first notes of Live And Let Die. Axl began to sing.

"When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live."

"You know you did.
You know you did.
You know you did." Kylie and I sang together.

"But if this ever changing world in which we're living
Makes you give in and cry

Say live and let die
Live and let die
Live and let die
Live and let die." The band began to go hard and dance around the stage. Kylie and I choreographed our own little dance to this song while we were high, but it was pretty good if you asked me.

"What does it matter to ya
When you got a job to do
You gotta do it well
You gotta give the other fellow hell." The song slowed down and Kylie and I began to sway slowly.

"When you were young and your heart was an open book
You used to say live and let live."

"You know you did.
You know you did.
You know you did." We sang again.

"But if this ever changing world in which we're living
Makes you give in and cry

Say live and let die
Live and let die
Live and let die
Live and let die."

The song ended and everyone took a deep breath. I looked at Kylie from across the stage.

"Did we do okay?" I mouthed. She nodded and looked back at the band.

"Great soundcheck, everyone." Axl announced. I sighed in relief and got down from the pedestal. Duff walked over to me.

"How'd I do?" I nervously began to bite at my lip.

"Just fine. See, I told you you're just fine as a singer." He wrapped an arm around my shoulder and we began to walk backstage.